CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #171
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post

*I believe that there is plenty of evidence that there is no good reason to consume grains.
Tasting good is a pretty good reason for me a lot of the time.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #172
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
How do you know they do?
Exactly.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #173
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Tasting good is a pretty good reason for me a lot of the time.
+1

Maybe the reason why I push back so hard against the anti-grain people is because I cook, and so I know just how prominent grains are in various traditional cuisines. In the absence of better evidence than I've seen that grains are harmful, I'm not going to toss out hundreds of years of food culture just because Grok said so.

Katherine
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #174
Dan Andrews

Profile:

There is an incredible amount of fail in this thread. Except that youtube video, that was cool.

Vegan Paleo is an oxymoron, if you are eating vegan, you are not eating paleo, and vice versa, stop trying to mix the two, or otherwise you get lots of nonsense like alot of these posts.

The keyboard samurai's can only do so much good in presenting information. Try to eat vegan and crossfit, if you are attaining the goals you would wish to attain, than good for you. If not, you may have to look at your training and diet and weigh your values and adjust accordingly.

+1 to steven low's comments as well.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #175
John Stone

Profile:

Organic vegan with no starch is probably what this should be called. Paleo diet involves meat.

"Vegan Paleo" is a made-up term that doesn't make sense, and I am not sure why people are debating it.

Paleo = eating food that is natural for human beings

Vegan = diet based on psychological factors instead of health/nutritional ones
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #176
Robert Newman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Organic vegan with no starch is probably what this should be called. Paleo diet involves meat.

"Vegan Paleo" is a made-up term that doesn't make sense, and I am not sure why people are debating it.

Paleo = eating food that is natural for human beings

Vegan = diet based on psychological factors instead of health/nutritional ones
sigh. You totally missed most of this post. True Paleo, eating what Paleo man ate, can contain any grains / some cooked carbs, variable animal meat, fruits, veg, nuts, seeds. The 30/30/40 macro nutrient make up clashes with mainstream nutritional research that suggests high carb, 5% cal from protein, low fat (WHO and FDA both recommend... well, FDA is 6.5%. Whatever). If i'm not mistaken, the Zone was never published to the scientific community, nor did Barry Sears try different macro nutrient ratios with similar food (fruits, veg, nuts, seeds, good qual meat). Paleo/zone is obviously a huge improvement over SAD, but there isn't much to show it is the absolute best diet for humans to eat, especially when it calls for limits fruit consumption and choice.

The term Paleo itself is rather ambiguous. In different regions, different groups of our species could be eating more plant based (around the equator) and more heavily meat based in the north and south.

Yes, there are many vegans who eat like that for reasons other than health. There is also a health based argument for it as well. The lady who started the thread stated she is vegan because of problems with IBS (I think?) and it works well for her.

Sorry about the Inuits, I couldn't find a study specifically on their life span's link to diet. But what I did find is they historically eat a large quantity of sea life and small amounts of plant life. They have a low rate of cardiovascular disease, but also a shorter life span than the average in their countries. Life span, health and diet all seem rather related to me, but it is an assumption on my part to link them. *shrug*
Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #177
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
Sorry about the Inuits, I couldn't find a study specifically on their life span's link to diet. But what I did find is they historically eat a large quantity of sea life and small amounts of plant life. They have a low rate of cardiovascular disease, but also a shorter life span than the average in their countries. Life span, health and diet all seem rather related to me, but it is an assumption on my part to link them. *shrug*
Two points worth mentioning. The first is that a diet rich in fish and marine mammals is not going to have the same impact as a diet that is equally meat rich but based on pigs, chickens, and cows. (Especially factory-farmed pigs, chickens, and cows.) Just because the Inuit lived on whale blubber, that doesn't mean you can live on corn-fed steak.

On the other hand, the modern Inuit are in a very similar situation to other indigenous American groups in the modern world: they are generally very poor and have limited access to both health care and healthy food choices. Poverty is strongly correlated with reduced lifespan for a wide variety of reasons, only some of which are diet-related.

Katherine
Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #178
Amy Crawford

Profile:

This. Is. Ridiculous.

On so many levels ...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #179
Jeff Binek

Profile:

You are correct they were in kg...fail.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43

Last edited by Jeff Binek : 06-16-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #180
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"The highest male vegan Bench, Deadlift, Squat Total is like 760lbs"

THat has to be incorrect since Mike Mahler is a vegan.

My 5rm squat and deadlift beat that total.