CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #121
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I see a lot of candy bars, sugared beverages, and chips, none of which are Pyramid-approved items. The Pyramid recommends fruits, vegetables, and *whole* grains as the primary carbohydrate sources.

Katherine
You realize there is NO SUCH THING AS A WHOLE GRAIN. Whole grains are refined grains. It's marketing rubbish.

The pyramid recommends grains as the foundation for the American diet. This is the problem. Also look how they demonize oils and fats as being in the same league with sugar. This leads to people buying SUGAR FREE LOW FAT CEREAL MADE WITH WHOLE GRAINS !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	food_pyramid.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6442  Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen_Mills_Image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	6443  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #122
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

*shrug* All the cereals you listed contain enormous amounts of sugar. So do most of the foods that appear in the typical obese person's grocery cart. Neither I nor the food pyramid is recommending a sugar-based diet.

Katherine
Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #123
Robert Newman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnee Dearman View Post
A "95%" meat diet will make ya feel bad, huh? Hrm then the traditional Inuit are magic because they flourish in the harshest environment in which humans can survive and on a more than 95% meat diet.

My own diet is pretty much 100% meat every single day. No joke. I also eat primarily raw meat, and have been doing this for well over a year. I feel very good and better than I ever did on an omnivorous diet. Despite hypothyroid I have enough energy to Crossfit, run, hike, do all kinda of physical stuff on top of working 14 hour days or more, many days a week. Despite hypothyrodism I am in very good health. I have no digestive problems, unlike when I was omnivorous. I don't suffer from debilitating hay fever, unlike when I was omnivorous. One should not make big claims about diets he has no experience with.

I am not alone here. There are at least two internet forums dedicated to the primarily carnivorous, if you don't believe me that it is entirely possible to be a 100% meat eater and feel very good, and actually see health problems resolve themselves and stay that way. Check out Dirty Carnivore or Raw Paleo Forum for more information.
Is that why the average life span of the Inuits in Canada is 12 to 15 years shorter than the average Canadian? (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2362426520080123 wfs). Have you ever heard of Gout or Scurvy? What do you think restores glycogen the fastest? Carbs! What do you need for any extended amount of exercise? Carbs! Yes, you can push yourself through it, but eventually you will feel like crap.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #124
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Obviously fats and protein could also be consumed to meet energy requirements so why carbs? Simple, foods that are naturally high in carbohydrates are also some of the best sources of other essential dietary components such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fibre etc.

* Note: it's recommended that complex starchy carbohydrates should form the bulk of the diet and that consumption of simple extrinisic sugars be reduced where possible.
Best sources of essential dietary components? The only practical way that you are getting to the 500+g/day of carbohydrate that you want us all on is to do it with breads, pasta, rice, etc: foods with poor nutrient profiles. And, depending on who you listen to, they may not just be nutrient poor but may even contain anti-nutrients that prevent optimal absorption of nutrients you DO take it.

Really, your argument only holds true if you stick mostly to the carbohydrate sources that we already advocate around here as part of a paleo type diet: fruits and vegetables, and I'm certainly not going to try to get 500g/day of carbohydrates just from fruits and veggies.
Plant based diets that include whole grains are associated with a significantly reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and numerous other diseases so any fear of anti-nutrients is clearly unfounded. That said getting all your carbs from grains would be as stupid as getting all your protein from meat as we need a varied diet if we're going to ensure that all essential nutrients needed for optimal health and physical performance are consumed.

Health Benefits Of Whole Grains: A Literature Review. (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 06-03-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #125
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
Is that why the average life span of the Inuits in Canada is 12 to 15 years shorter than the average Canadian? (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2362426520080123 wfs). Have you ever heard of Gout or Scurvy? What do you think restores glycogen the fastest? Carbs! What do you need for any extended amount of exercise? Carbs! Yes, you can push yourself through it, but eventually you will feel like crap.

Glycogen gets replaced automatically about 24 hours after exercise even on a fairly low-carb diet. You only need to replenish glycogen levels if you're doing 2 workouts in a day.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #126
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Glycogen gets replaced automatically about 24 hours after exercise even on a fairly low-carb diet. You only need to replenish glycogen levels if you're doing 2 workouts in a day.
While it's true that it can take up to 24 hours to fully replenish glycogen stores this can only be achieved if adequate carbohydrates are consumed.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #127
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
You realize there is NO SUCH THING AS A WHOLE GRAIN. Whole grains are refined grains. It's marketing rubbish.

The pyramid recommends grains as the foundation for the American diet. This is the problem. Also look how they demonize oils and fats as being in the same league with sugar. This leads to people buying SUGAR FREE LOW FAT CEREAL MADE WITH WHOLE GRAINS !!!
Lucky Charms and Honey Nut Cheerios are NOT the same thing as steel cut oatmeal or a bowl of quinoa. I'm not arguing with you that people justify a lot of idiotic food choices by blindly skewing the government's recommendations (the low fat sugar free twinkies or whatever). I'm also not saying the government has our best interests in mind (over giant agro/dairy/industrial meat lobbyists). Relax dude, we're on the same page. I think we can all agree that if the supermarket fatasses would replace their poptarts, waffles, bagels and the like with a bowl of steel cut oatmeal every morning, they would definitely be a lot better off. Not optimal. But better.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #128
Robert Newman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Best sources of essential dietary components? The only practical way that you are getting to the 500+g/day of carbohydrate that you want us all on is to do it with breads, pasta, rice, etc: foods with poor nutrient profiles. And, depending on who you listen to, they may not just be nutrient poor but may even contain anti-nutrients that prevent optimal absorption of nutrients you DO take it.

Really, your argument only holds true if you stick mostly to the carbohydrate sources that we already advocate around here as part of a paleo type diet: fruits and vegetables, and I'm certainly not going to try to get 500g/day of carbohydrates just from fruits and veggies.
It's very possible to get them from fruit. If you count every banana as 30g of carbs (probably an underestimate anyways), it's only 16 bananas. I go through 10-15 bananas a day on top of 6-10 other servings of fruit (as well as greens and some nuts). The people that try to go raw on low fruit consumption are crazy. Getting a reasonable amount of calories from veggies is a ridiculous amount of food, and they usually don't get enough. There's a guy on youtube named durianrider (his page was linked earlier) who eats like 70 bananas and a ton of other stuff every day, but he's also an endurance athlete so the 6k - 7k calories are necessary.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #129
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
... who eats like 70 bananas and a ton of other stuff every day....
Um, so someone thinks it's not OK to eat meat or drink milk, but it is ok to eat 70 bananas a day.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #130
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

I dont know if its been mentioned, but HEMP SEEDS should be a staple in any vegan paleo athletes diet. Check out the nutrition facts here: http://hempseed.ca/hulled-hemp-seed.ihtml