CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
Peter Lodge

Profile:
Will doing Crossfit translate to faster running times?

I run 4-5 times a week already but I was wondering if adding Crossfit (i.e. the WODs) to my training would help shorten my run times, or does Crossfit train a different set of muscles?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Nathan Plowman

Profile:
Re: Will doing Crossfit translate to faster running times?

Hi Peter,

What distances do you run?
I'm also a runner. I come from years of long distance training. I started doing CF about a year ago, believing it would improve my run times, which it did, for distances under 5k. For the distances I race at (marathons, 5hr+/multi-day adventure races, ultras) it slowed me. I put on 10lb (although it was muscle), and through lessening my mileage from 60 per week to 40 per week in order to accommodate CF, I lost some of the adaptions to long distance in my legs.

I have now rebuilt my endurance, and use CF once or twice a week, to supplement my running, not to replace it. I have found that although it does not necessarily lower my times, it seems to help prevent injury.

Hope this helps

Nathan
Old 01-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Peter Lodge

Profile:

That sounds good. I generally run 3mile (5k) or 4 mile, I'm not much of a long distance man.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lodge View Post
I run 4-5 times a week already but I was wondering if adding Crossfit (i.e. the WODs) to my training would help shorten my run times, or does Crossfit train a different set of muscles?

Thanks in advance
I'd say it depends on how fast you're running now. I am NOT a runner, and crossfit has decreased my 5K run time from ~8:30/mile pace to a 7:30/mile pace... not bad considering that improvement occured with only 3 or 4 5k or 10k runs in a 3 month period.

If you're already running that fast, which you probably are if you're out 4-5 times a week, crossfit probably won't change your times much... it's not that it works different muscles, just that it will train different energy systems and works on many modes of excercise, of which running is one. However, I bet that you'll find your run times are not hurt, while you will get stronger in other areas. You may also find you can run fewer days per week while crossfitting and maintain/improve on your current times.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

It should help.

The best way though to improve your running is running. Long intervals (1200m-1600m for 4x w/ 3 min rest between -- increasing difficulty is adding more intervals or decreasing rest time) as well as longer runs where you push yourself will help immensely.

Long slow distance runs won't really do much for you.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Right---for 3 or 4 mile distances, the best thing you can do is train intervals as Steven suggests. Or do hill repeats.

Crossfit's metabolic conditioning will get you some faster, even if you don't run, if you don't already do interval work.

I say this because that's been my experience with cycling. I have a training route I ride that's about 30 miles long with a 4.5 mile climb. Last season, about 3/4 through the season, I did the climb at my usual 5-5.5 mph pace. But at the very end of the season, after about 6 -8 weeks of Crossfit, I did the climb at 7mph pace. That's a heck of a lot faster for a climb.

Susie
Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Guy Crossland

Profile:

It did not for me but it had a lot of benefits i.e less injuries and minor upper resp infections which I contracted alot when training very seriously for track( for 48.0 400m runs).
That said I can still run at a good clip and I find the crossfit workouts with running a real change and revelation.

I will put in some hill reps today because they will suit my needs more than the Crossfit total and therein lies the message;Crossfit is fantastic and FREE ,use it for your benefits ,choose the workouts for your schedule and lifestyle and feel much better for it!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Ian Carver

Profile:

Peter - I have found that, yes, it does improve my run times. I have always been a good runner, although I don't enjoy it. My times slowed up a bit in years prior to finding CF. After getting involved in CF for the past couple years, I have noticed drops in time and increased performance in running and across the board of general athletic performance. I recently started using the POSE method of running and my times have come down even more.

The November '07 and January '08 CF Journals have articles in them regarding this crossover effect - CF benefitting endurance sports/athletes. Brian Mackenzie wrote the articles after using the CF methodology on first himself and then other endurance athletes he was coaching. All of them had increased performances. Brian has been doing this for quite a while and I was fortunate to get to pick his brain in person a while back - he knows his stuff and has validated it. If you want a worthwhile expenditure of $10, buy both those journals out of the CF store. You will get some great info and insight out of them. Best of luck and stay fit!