CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
John D Large

Profile:
Pullup Bar Idea for my Basement

I know this has been discussed before and I have several ideas, but I'm afraid I don't know exactly what to do with my basement setup to mount a pullup bar. Here is a pic of a similar setup.

http://www.organ-concerts.com/aram/i...ement-0791.jpgYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Thought about mounting a 2X4 across several 2X4s, then mounting the bar to it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 05-13-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
Re: Pullup Bar Idea for my Basement

Just some considerations/ideas...

1 - If you are going to mount the pull-up bar to the floor joists, try to keep the bar perpendicular to the joists so that when your head comes above the bar it is between joists and not smacking into one.

2 - I'd be slightly wary of hanging from a bar attached to those engineered floor joists (versus a solid piece of lumber)...I'm sure it'd be safe, but just something to mull over.

3 - Mounting anything to the metal I-Beam could be difficult without some welding and you could run into the issues with head clearance again.

In the end...I'd use some sturdy lumber to create "hangers" that could be screwed or bolted to the existing joists and extend a few inches below two of the joists (probably 3-4 joists apart) and attach your bar to those. Try hanging, kipping, pulling on it and see if makes any ugly noises.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
John D Large

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Danley View Post
Just some considerations/ideas...

1 - If you are going to mount the pull-up bar to the floor joists, try to keep the bar perpendicular to the joists so that when your head comes above the bar it is between joists and not smacking into one.

2 - I'd be slightly wary of hanging from a bar attached to those engineered floor joists (versus a solid piece of lumber)...I'm sure it'd be safe, but just something to mull over.

3 - Mounting anything to the metal I-Beam could be difficult without some welding and you could run into the issues with head clearance again.

In the end...I'd use some sturdy lumber to create "hangers" that could be screwed or bolted to the existing joists and extend a few inches below two of the joists (probably 3-4 joists apart) and attach your bar to those. Try hanging, kipping, pulling on it and see if makes any ugly noises.
I admit ahead of time that I'm slightly dim, so bear with me. Are you talking about a setup of a 2 X 4 X 6 feet mounted perpendicularly to the bottoms of the engineered 2 or 3 floor joists (the 2X4s at the bottom)? Would the lag bolts go into the plywood between the 2X4s on the engineered joists.
Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

I wouldn't mount a solid piece perpendicular across the bottom of the floor joists because when you try to bring your head above the bar you could hit it. Let me see if I can explain a slightly easier method...

Let's assume that your floor joists are 16" center to center:

1 - Cut two 2x6 sections about 19" long.
2 - Mount one section to the bottom of two adjacent joists, perpedicular to the joists, so that one end is attached to each joist. put the 6" side flat against the bottom of the joists. I would use some 2.5" to 3" drywall screws to secure them to the joists (I have a similar system and I weigh 180 lbs and have had no problems)....just be generous with the screws and maybe throw some wood glue on them too.
3 - Mount the other section in the same fashion but leave an open section between two joists between the two sections. So, you will have one 19" section bridging two joists, nothing between the next two, and then the other 19" section between the last two (from the end of one 19" section to the end of the other should be 4 joists wide when said and done).
4 - Once the sections are mounted you can create your actual bar. I would get a long section of threaded 1" to 1.5" pipe that is a bit longer than 3 floor joists wide, attach a 90 degree elbow to each end, then attach a short pipe section to each 90. Finally, thread a pipe flange to the end of each short section. If you go to a Home Depot or Lowe's and explain what you are after they can actually cut and thread the pipes for you. You are shooting for a very wide "U" shaped assembly with a flange on each end for mounting it.
5 - Attach the bar assembly to your two 19" sections by screwing one flange to the bottom of each section with some more drywall or wood screws/bolts.

If this all makes sense, when it comes together you should be able to do a chest to bar pull-up and have plenty of clearance for your head between the two center floor joists. Let me know if my wordy description doesn't cut it and I could try to sketch something up for you (I am a civil engineer and have access to drafting software 5 days a week).

Feel free to take ideas from others too, I'm in no way claiming that this is the best way, but it should do the trick pretty well.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
John D Large

Profile:

Thanks again, I think I have it now. One more question, can I kip on a setup like this (I'm 195, hope to be 180 soon :-{)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Hello, just in case it helps here are some pictures of mine which should be a similar idea.

I was 200lbs a couple months ago (now 187ish 5'11") and I kip on it just fine. I've tried chest to bar with no problem as well. And it works fine for my Rings and homemade Rope. Although it would be nicer if I had a higher ceiling for rope ascents, and MUs.

The pipe is 3/4", the vertical pipes are 10" and the bar is 4'.

The board is attached to the joists with lag screws. The pipe is attached to the board with bolts, although I did have it done with lag screws and it was fine, just changed it for peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02402_sized.jpg
Views:	9010
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	4230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02403_sized.jpg
Views:	9211
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	4231  

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 05-21-2009 at 10:27 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
John D Large

Profile:

Thanks Matt, great setup. Are those engineered floor joists or the standard joists (real lumber)? I have the engineered type that are glued pieces of 2X4 attached to presswood.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

As long as you use enough glue and screws (maybe drill pilot holes first to keep from splitting the wood if you are using hefty sized screws/bolts), that thing won't go anywhere.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Mine are real wooden joists. I don't think I'm familiar with the engineered types. But I'd think since you don't have drywall you'd have the advantage of having access to the joists directly.

Then you are better able to use bolts to get the floor flanges fixed to the board and to make sure your board is glued and screwed into the joists squarely.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Pat McElhone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Hello, just in case it helps here are some pictures of mine which should be a similar idea.

I was 200lbs a couple months ago (now 187ish 5'11") and I kip on it just fine. I've tried chest to bar with no problem as well. And it works fine for my Rings and homemade Rope. Although it would be nicer if I had a higher ceiling for rope ascents, and MUs.

The pipe is 3/4", the vertical pipes are 10" and the bar is 4'.

The board is attached to the joists with lag screws. The pipe is attached to the board with bolts, although I did have it done with lag screws and it was fine, just changed it for peace of mind.
Matt

Not to change the subject, how did you make that climbing rope? Thanks,

Pat