CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #81
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
I hear ya. Your point is taken on doing TGUs quickly. But let's not forget that Coach sometimes breaks his own rules (e.g., 9 mile run), which is a good thing. That's how progress is achieved.
I believe the longer runs have a purpose (different modal domain), and test crossfit's efficacy for endurance gains well.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #82
Louis Hayes

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

Stair and hill climbing.
We have a group in Chicagoland that meets up at an old toboggan chute hill with KBs and rings. 120+ stairs, all different riser heights (been told the overall height is 90ft). Rounds of climbing, pushups, burpees, ring dips, inverted rows (on the railing), or various KB mvmts....always a different WO.

WFS link to our stuff:
http://trinitytraining.blogspot.com/search/label/stairs

If you live in the area, drop me a line so I can add you to my email list.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #83
David Heyer

Profile:

I also would like to see short sprints (20-100 meters/ hills/ stairs/ tabatas, etc.) added to the wod. Occasionally I add them after the wod.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #84
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I believe the longer runs have a purpose (different modal domain), and test crossfit's efficacy for endurance gains well.
The 9-mile run may have a purpose, but it certainly doesn't fit the crossfit mold, which was my point.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #85
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

Sprawl Ball looks like death.
I've had to do the beep test that was mentioned earlier. It is painful.

I believe part of crossfit's idealogy is to play sports. Sports will incorporate a lot of the sprinting type work people are mentioning.

I know its against the programming but I occasionally add sprints to workouts that allow or it, such as after a shoulder press workout or anything that is upper body intensive.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #86
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
The 9-mile run may have a purpose, but it certainly doesn't fit the crossfit mold, which was my point.
Sure it does. Mono-structural element. We have those, gymnastic elements and weight lifting elements.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #87
John Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Skinner View Post
I believe part of crossfit's idealogy is to play sports. Sports will incorporate a lot of the sprinting type work people are mentioning.
I'd wager than at least 80 percent of CFer's don't regularly play sports that have them doing maximum effort sprints. So I don't think the "you get that as part of the sport" is a valid reason to leave them out.

(Plus, if you are part of the less than 20 percent that regularly play sports that require max effort sprints, wouldn't you like to practice them outside of the game?)

I agree with the others that already said that sprints and load bearing walks are two very functional exercises that are missing. I don't think the 12 mile ruck marches are necessary for most CFers, but shorter distance sandbag carries and heavy farmer walks certainly are. Doesn't get much more functional than picking up something heavy and moving it (to steal/butcher a Dan John quote.)
Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #88
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Sure it does. Mono-structural element. We have those, gymnastic elements and weight lifting elements.
Well with that argument, you could say anything fits the crossfit mold.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #89
Jim Denofa

Profile:

what about some good old fashioned tricep kick backs or some heavy pec dec work. I would really like to see some leg extensions and some donkey calf raises as well.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #90
Bill Shiffler

Profile:

Some "I go you go" curls or 21's are a good metcon every now and then too.