CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
Using the Zone Block tool as per Dr.Sear’s calculator, what level of activity factor would you select for someone who follows the WOD on a daily basis, coupled with some outside GTG and practice work, Active, Very Active, Elite? Also, is it wiser to go up or down when it comes to inputting the variables for weight, height, waist and wrist? Seems trivial, I know but with 6.75 wrists there’s a one block and 2 percent body fat percentage difference when going from 6.5 to 7.

http://www.drsears.com/drsearspages/bodyfatcalmale.jsp
Old 08-03-2005, 03:03 AM   #2
Chris Longley

Profile:
Troy,

Looking at the calculator, the "Active" level uses a 0.8 activity multiplier, which would sound about right for the amount of stuff you're doing. Although Robb Wolf uses 0.7 which would be the same as the "Moderate" level setting. If you were doing sports training aswell, then maybe you could justify using the "Very Active" setting (0.9 multiplier) but this would need to be based upon your personal situation and goals e.g. I use a higher multiplier because my medical condition means I need the extra protein and I want to gain some lean body mass.

Personally, I'd use the inputs which give the lower body fat %, as this will ensure that your protein requirement figure is definately high enough to meet your body's needs.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I like using .7 as the activity factor. Then you just have to divide your LBM by 10 to get your blocks.

So, laziness dictates an activity multiplier of .7.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
I've been doing 17 blocks since I started the Zone last March, thinking that I was a medium male but the more I think about it at 5'10", 155lbs I don't think I am. I think it's time for some experimentation with 16 blocks.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Troy -
You may even be able to go down to 14 or 15, depending on your BF% and the intensity/consisitency of your GTG work.

What have your results (performance, fat loss etc.) been like on 17?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
Troy Archie

Profile:
My results have been pretty good. At first things weren't going so well and I really crashed and burned but since then I've upped the fat and feel much better. I'm also finding out now that I haven't been calculating the fiber content into my foods so I guess I haven't been eating enough carbs.

I figure I'm about 10-11% body fat, as I can see a 4-6 pack first thing in the morning and when I flex. I'm a bit hesitant to drop anymore body fat since I'm pretty light as is and when I started the zone I got down to 150lbs and felt like crap but I'm willing to experiment.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/8775.html
Old 08-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: WOD Activity Level Block Requirements

Can someone fill in the blanks for me here in terms of crossfit:

Activity level.....Multiplier.........

Sedentary........... .5 (?) ............. Couch Potato
Light.................. .6 (?) ............. Daily Walks
Moderate............ .7 .................. CFer 3x/week (?)
Active................ .8 .................. Strict CFer (3 on / 1 off)
Very Active......... .9 .................. Strict CFer + Sport (rowing/running/swimming/weightlifting) 3-4x/week
Elite Athlete........ 1 (?) .............. Strict CFer + Sport + Sport Specific Training 3-4x/week

And that factor is multiplied by LBM to calculate daily protein requirements?

Is this the right idea?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Ian Carver

Profile:
Re: WOD Activity Level Block Requirements

Tim - Yes, you are right. Multiply your activity level by LBM, get your daily protein requirement and then divide that by seven (the protein grams in a block). That gives you your total daily block intake which you can break up into your meal and snack requirements.

I remember reading somewhere that Coach Glassman recommended active, dedicated CF'ers should us .8 as their activity level. It is what I have used and the results have been great. Dependent upon the amount of intense activity in my day, I may add another 4 blocks of food from time to time.