CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Joshua Goodstein

Profile:
Due to my family life and work schedule the earliest I have the ability to work out is usually around 8pm. Is there a drawback to working out late at night? I'm not sure i could motivate my self to get up any earlier as 5am is early enough already. When do all of you work out?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Don King

Profile:
I'm not a morning person either so I end up working out at around 8:00pm after the kids are asleep. I think you will find this is a personal preference with a wide range of WO times. In a perfect world, it would probably be best to WO mid-morning after a light breakfast, or mid-afternoon before your energy levels start to decline. I know that sometimes it's a struggle to get the energy to WO after a long day.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Moving to "Fitness"
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
John Tuitele

Profile:
I never, and I mean never, work out before 11am. This old body creaks and pops rolling out of bed in the morning, not necessarily because of the years, but more from the mileage.

In the past, I've wound up with injuries when I work out early morning. Also, if I CF right before lunch, I can eat right after the workout, hit the shower, and avoid that mid afternoon slump.

Don't mind working out at night, either, but that's getting busier lately training other folks.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Bed at 9:00ish, coffee is ready 4:20 am, drink coffee, hit GHD for abs, back, C2 for easy 5k, out door to gym for WOD (6am), back by 7:00, eat, shower off to work.
Not for everyone, but works for me.

Jay
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Doug Mewhirter

Profile:
I work out at 5:30am on Tues and Thurs, and between 7:00am-9:00am on Saturday (i.e. whenever I wake up).

Not enough time otherwise. Having a garage gym helps with the "commute", so I can wake up at 5:15am. I'm definitely weaker early in the morning, and have to be careful and warm up thoroughly.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Robert Miller

Profile:
Even though, like Doug, I'm weaker in the morning, that's when I hit the WOD. Basically, it's the only time that I'm assured to avoid scheduling conflicts with my job or my family. I have to have at least one cup of coffee before starting, BTW..

Thanks!

Rob Miller
Springfield, PA
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
Alicia Michel

Profile:
almost right after waking up between 6am and 9am depending on what time the gym opens. i find early morning when my brain is only half-awake the best time. and i get too lethargic and lazy by 10am.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
Cal Jones

Profile:
My inclination is to workout mornings (9-11am) but as I work full time, I have to go after work, around 6.30pm until I'm finished.
I'll take mornings on weekends, though, if I'm not otherwise busy.

Alicia - I understand what you mean though. When I used to run more I was fine running around 6-7am as I didn't have to think much about it. In fact, if you go straight out of bed, you don't have much time to put up a mental resistance to it, whereas after a long working day, it's easy to think "ah I'm tired, maybe I'll give it a miss today."
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Ian Holmes

Profile:
There are a host of benefits of working out in the morning as opposed to later in the day. Higher metabolism throughout the day, more time to get lactic acid worked out... and of course it means you can get more exercise in over the course of the day *grin*.

Charles Poliquin I believe wrote in one of his articles about how the best times for strength training are three and ten hours after waking up.

I personally train all day. There are highs and lows, but it is a day long thing.