CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Jon Gary

Profile:
Our company gym will be non-functional for a few weeks to allow time to set up our *new* gym facility. In the meantime, yesterday I signed up for a 1 month membership at a gym in my town. Enough equipment for the WODs, and as for yesterday's crowd at 3pm... I won't be competing for equipment either! I'm sure Matt G. will appreciate the fact that of the 8 people working out yesterday afternoon ALL had weightlifting gloves - ages mid 20s to 50s; for exercises ranging from curls (that guy had straps on his gloves) to tricep extensions... Should be a fun month... oh boy.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Oh yeah Jon...gotta love the gloves. My C2 should be arriving this afternoon, and I've got the Oly bar and bumper plates on order. I'm gradually getting to the point where I can do the whole show here at home. I'll always belong somewhere, as I need a pool...but I'm looking forward to the day I can do both my CF and non-CF training in my own "private facility".
Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Alex McClung

Profile:
How timely...

I was in the Gym today subbing pullups for rope climbs, and I tore off a large chunk of callous from my palm. Dribbling blood I approached the horrified staff for a roll of tape so I could continue the WOD. They didn't have any tape, but were kind enough to suggest that I should buy a pair of gloves!! Sometimes it's fun to work out at the CommGyms, just for moments like this !

I did manage to get taped up at the PT clinic next door, and came back to the CommGym for a strong finish and poor time.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
What good are gloves without chalk?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:
Gloves, straps, and chalk! That EZ curl bar is Mine now!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
How about knee wraps for Smith Squats at 105lbs. (while facing the wrong way in the Smith rack)?

There's a guy (couldn't be more than 30) at my gym who does that.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
O.K. I gotta be honest. I, too, now see the humor in the whole ez curl bar, glove, thing. But, I used to be a part of that crowd (never the gloves, but did the full isolationist thing). I really think that there are alot of people out there who work out that way out of ignorance. Intuitively, they may feel that there must be more to this whole work out deal, but where are they going to find it in your average "globogym?" Of course, I have found also that there are alot of people who, after trying a WOD, want nothing more to do with practical strength/conditioning because it is just TOO DARNED HARD!

Just out of curiousity, how many of y'all used to be into the muscle isolation, e-z curl bar kind of workout, and how did you find out about crossfit?

I inadvertently bumped into a guy in my gym's locker room who told me about it about a year ago. Turned out to be Matt G. A year later my wife and I are hooked and trying to get other people to do it with us.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Jim, I too was a member of that crowd, as were many on this site. I found CF off of a martial arts forum. I had nearly stopped working out completely for about 6-8 months because I had a feeling that the isolation stuff wasn't right and didn't feel that I was getting any better in athletics or functional fitness (not that I knew that term at the time). Found CF, it hit me immediately that "yes! this is what I've been looking for". It was like taking the red pill.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
Tom Brose

Profile:
I would guess most people here came from a workout background that they may not be so proud of now. I don't ever want to be condesending to wellmeaning people who don't know about or even arent interested in the approach I like.

I would say the bizarre cultural aspects that go along with bodybuilding (and more so the never will compete-permanent bulking-fully accesorized-weider principle-cardio will burn up my mass/ or i dont worry about form as long as I get a PUMP types) make it fair game for just about anything
Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I was doing isolation movements in conjunction with a lot of bodyweight/calisthenics stuff and tons of swimming/water polo. But my isolation work was never in the typical BB mode...I was always doing something crazy with it (inevitably causing the BBs to come over and tell me how I was doing things all wrong).

I think what I find vaguely depressing about most BB-style folks is how resistant they are to trying something different. Every once in awhile you find the rare one like Jim Aldridge (hey Jim, I've got a C2 at my place now!), but more often than not they turn their noses up at something differnt because their friends or "everyone else" isn't doing it.

I just have a problem with close-mindedness.

Actually, I just had my BB laugh-of-the-day, watching a group of BBs try to do what they consider pullups. Priceless.