CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Rex Freriks

Profile:
Can anyone help me with guidance on rest periods between sets on the WODs that aren't for time ? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
James Lewis

Profile:
Newbie here. Take this for what it's worth.

Rest time between sets should be minimal. Example: when I do the CFWU (different muscle groups each exercise) I take zero rest between sets. After one round I usually take about 20 secs.

On WODs that are the same exercise (for example, 5-5-5-5-5 DL) it makes sense to take the least amount of rest that allows maximum exertion while maintaining good form. In other words, once that first set is done, don't take 3 mins between the next set, but hit it again as soon as you have recovered your breath and muscles are sufficiently recovered. If you have to take too long between sets, reduce the load. In my estimation, better to do less weight at higher intensity (ie shorter rest intervals).

My $.02 and that's how I do my workouts. I'm sure a more senior member will chime in.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
as little as possible if it is Metcon workouts. ME days (where reps are 1-5 per set) rest anywhere from 1-3min.

ME = Max Effort
Metcon = Metabolic Conditioning
Old 11-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Brad Davis

Profile:
I'm a new guy too, but from reading the FAQ response, I'd say that Mike's right. Rest longer on ME days. You're trying to get the stimulation from lifting lots of weight, not huffing and puffing like on the other days. I guess this varies by person, but for me, to get completely recovered to get the absolute max weight takes 2:30-3:00 minutes after a good set of 5. Otherwise, I'll not get a rep or two, or have to decrease the weight, which I think defeats the purpose of the ME day.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Mike is right on track, as he normally is.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Frank is too kind...he hasn't obviously seen me drive a train.

Ok..bad joke on keeping on track! Keeping the day job...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Rest management very important. In the same way you use time to gauge your progress in work-outs. Like Mike said as little as possible, but you still need to gauge that. Whether you set the bar down and take two breathes or one, whatever it may be, or walk back away two steps or one. This way you know where you can save or make up time. So I believe paying as close attention to your rest time as your work-out time is very important. Thanks for the thread.