CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #81
John McCord

Profile:
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
FWIW, weightlifting is WAY easier than martial arts. The bar doesn't hit back, for starters...

Katherine
I remeber a post somewhere about a guy dropping a bar on his head during a snatch...he would disagree

...and probably uses a hook now
Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #82
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
I remeber a post somewhere about a guy dropping a bar on his head during a snatch...he would disagree

...and probably uses a hook now
James Hobart on the winter road trip (with Austin Maleleo or however you spell his name).
Old 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #83
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
LOL, just saw this and um, my forehead, chin, boobs, and thighs might disagree.
Well certain parts of him might disagree with you! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86cQobU-n4

That's what we call "stupid".
Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #84
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
LOL, just saw this and um, my forehead, chin, boobs, and thighs might disagree.
Bad for you but must be nice for the bar

Since you brought it up though, when I'm doing either of the lifts, the bar is almost scraping my chest. I've always wondered how this would be possible if there were breasts (even ones that aren't large) in the way.

Unless I'm doing it wrong?

No
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #85
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Well certain parts of him might disagree with you! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86cQobU-n4

That's what we call "stupid".

why would anyone what is this i don't even
Old 05-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #86
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Power cleans will increase your deadlift, and a bigger deadlift means bigger strength.

But they're really only useful if they're useful. For me, they increase muscle recruitment during the hip lockout of the deadlift and also grip strength. Useful. For the OP, they cause him pain. Not useful.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #87
John A. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Power cleans will increase your deadlift, and a bigger deadlift means bigger strength.
I'd be interested in hearing what Ed Coan, Benedikt Magnússon, Konstantin Konstantinovs, and Andy Bolton have to say about that and what their Deadlift routines look like.

Also, what about Kroc Rows?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #88
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Thanks! In defense of my initial pull, I will say that I was only working positioning there and not speed. We had done about 20 reps from below the knee and then moved to the floor for about 10 reps, and he stood next to me and made me bring the bar up my legs as slowly as possible while he cued me. I put a tiny bit of speed on the bar on that rep, and that's what I ended up with. And, yes, staying over the bar is kind of an issue . Glenn is a big fan of working from below the knee for me, and I'm sure you can see why.

But, yeah, I am forever on my toes, and it is true that my snatch is ridiculously slow...but usually not my pull off the floor...my hips and my pull under the bar are super slow. So slow that it makes me want to punch a baby. Yesterday was all about getting me off of my toes. We widened my stance and did all of those reps from below the knee, and it worked.

However, I no longer have a CrossFit power snatch like I do in that first video, so...

ETA: It should be noted that I was a fully qualified CrossFit L1 trainer in that first video.
Tamara, consider it duly noted that you had the 20 minutes of training that the CF Level One provides in snatching.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #89
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
One of the hardest things for some people to learn is the quick transition from the jump to the squat. It's hard to teach as well.
Maybe teaching them how to duck under a punch would help. Especially when you teach them that just bending at the hips can lead to a knee in the face.

Or maybe tabata squats...
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #90
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Wow this is a lengthy one to read through...

Seems to me as if we all agree cleans are a great lift and very beneficial if done correctly.

What kind of problems are we getting with this AND how can we solve them is another. We like cleans because they are:
1. Explosive
2. Triple extension
3. It builds power which will get our squats and DL numbers up

Now to the problems I read after reading this thread:
1. Wrist pain
2. Shoulder pain
3. Not knowing proper form (could be mental bc of the hard bar and pain listed above)
4. Age
5. Past injuries
6. Mobility
7. Transition from jump to squat

For most athletes and clients I have trained I truly feel the lift is intimidating to people. Its a steel bar with weight, it is thought of as a burly lift, and most cannot see the benefits of incorporating this lift into their programming like us CFitters and CF Coaches.

I can't really say I disagree either if I was a newbie or someone with a lack of experience doing some of the o-lifts. They are very technical lifts and take extreme mental strength.

Solution for my athletes/clients has been to introduce them to o-lifts by using a different implement than a barbell. I use sandbags. They require the same muscle activation, same movement pattern and are a great tool to learn on and then graduate your athlete/client to the barbell. Because it is sand fillers it will not cause any of the pain listed previously. I have 60+ yr olds cleaning on these bags and they truly get a sense of accomplishment doing something that most people cannot do properly. This is my go to tool when introducing the clean and I would suggest that someone in Michael's case give this a try. I would almost guarantee that once you become familiar with the movement, you will transition nicely into the barbell clean and the numbers will go up, and you might even enjoy the lift too

Here is a link of a demonstration I did a few months back with the sandbag clean and some other variations (watch your volume a little the audio was poor on this one so I apologize in advance for that)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaslkwWltXI