CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Dylan Miley

Profile:
Dylan Miley's official workout log

This is for my personal use but obviously being in an open forum, feel welcome to comment in any fashion you'd like. I'll be recording my workouts, how I felt, really anything connected to my training and diet regimen, it depends how much time I have to type out my thoughts.

Thursday December 18

(7:30 am)
Overhead squats: 135x15, 185x10, 225x5, 250x5 (reached my limit, dropped weight), 225x8

Squats: 245x20, 225x20

Step ups: 135x15 (each leg)

Deadlifts: 225x12, 225x12

This was after a good warmup revolving around warming up the wheels and core.

Thoughts: Was worried just 6 days ago that I wouldn't be able to squat or deadlift for WEEKS after throwing out my back, but to my pleasant surprise, my back seemingly "magically" felt 100% today. I've been doing a lot to 'rehab' it, ice, heat, stretch, bed rest, sit properly, etc.
So that's why I was doing what I consider light weights today, and not a workout I would typically do but I felt today was a day to back in the swing of things in a sense.
Anyway I was SO happy with my overhead squats today. After incorperating crossfit philosophies into my workouts I've seen a great increase in my overhead strength, and I'm also cutting down bodyfat (and cals obviously) and breaking pr's! I've never even hit 225 (never attempted, lack of confidence I guess). I smashed my pr so I could have walked home after that and been happy.
20 rep squats are always fun, not my best effort but I was resisting pushing myself TOO hard today with a tender back, I'm being very careful to not hurt myself again.

(6pm) Jogged for about 40 minutes

Diet's going good, haven't had ONE cheat in about a month now and I'm really seeing good results in the gym and my physique. I don't think I'm going to cheat until Jan 16th (certain deadline I have).
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Re: Dylan Miley's official workout log

You don't have a huge fan club around all of the forum for being outspoken, but you're stupid strong so I'll hang out in here with you.

Monster OHS!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bennington View Post
You don't have a huge fan club around all of the forum for being outspoken, but you're stupid strong so I'll hang out in here with you.

Monster OHS!
I appreciate it man. I agree with you that I don't have much of a fan club, I made a bad impression. How dare I suggest consuming some complex carbohydrates are good for your energy level. I'm not against crossfit's philosophies at all, that's where people misunderstand my stance on things. I embrase crossfit, I think it's a fantastic program. Do I go "all or nothing" when it comes to crossfit and it's dietary suggestions? Not at all. That's why I'll resist venturing out of my journal blog from now on .

Well you haven't seen heavy A$$ weights just yet, now that my back is 100%, I'll be having a heavy clean/press day on Saturday, already looking forward to it! I'll be shooting for 315 on the clean. I'm pretty confident I'll get that, so hopefully I'll go even heavier.

With my new diet I've been feeling really energetic. I've been eating A LOT more greens and fruits than I have in the past, and cut out crappy carbs like potatos and bread. My only direct starchy carb sources is now rolled oats and brown rice.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
David Schneider

Profile:

Yeah, I'm with Chuck on this one. You may have stirred some **** on the boards, but really, who gives a ****.

With your numbers, you can stir up **** anytime you want man...

Keep up the freaky numbers Dylan
Old 12-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Thanks Dave.

I guess I should give a little backround to my training history, while I have the time, it's fun to me anyway.

I've been dabbing in and out of olympic lifting since high school when my coach introduced athletic training for football. Since then I've been in love with the thought of having good 'functional strength', which of course involves more than the clean and press and snatch, I don't even know if that counts as functional lifts? To me it does though. I've never been a bodybuilder, but as a former football lineman I was interested in gaining as much weight I possibly could in a healthy manner. So that explains why I'm so big. So no more bodybuilder comments ok?
Anyway back to my love for strength training, that's why I'm so interested in learning as much I can about crossfit, it's really the empitome in a lot of ways of building up strength and stamina for functional use. I went for a month, an affiliate was nice enough to let me try it out for a month.
Why didn't I sign up as an official member? I don't want to pay $100 a month for it. Ideally I would love to train there though, bumper plates, heavy tires, rings, those are the things I'm missing out on. But I can still incorperate many aspects of crossfit in my training, which is what I'm doing. Will I ever do Fight Gone Bad again (never had a better workout in my life by the way)? I want to in the future, I just don't know when though, maybe when finances aren't so tight and I can afford actually being a part of a crossfit gym.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Dylan Miley

Profile:

And finally to finish off my day I want to record my current stats and my short term goals! I'll say by April or May I want to obtain most of these goals. That's realistic enough for me. Especially for my oly lifts, because when I improve the movement itself I'm sure the weights will go up quite well.

Height: 6'2''
Weight: 245lbs.
Clean and jerk: 295 GOAL: 320
Snatch: 205 GOAL:225 (Or ideally bodyweight)
Squat: 525 GOAL: 555
Overhead squat: 250x5 GOAL: 250x15
Deadlift: 555 GOAL: 595
Bench Press: 405x2 GOAL: 425

You might look at my numbers and say "why concentrate on your bench press so much? You need to get your snatch up to par first!"

Well I agree, my oly lifts aren't where they should be. But I like to be strong in every lift, so I won't neglect one for another. With that said my training recently has resolved more around overhead movements, which is helping my overall strength.

I do have other goals like a good mile time. I'll have to record a recent time though, I might do that this weekend actually. Then keep improving on that. I don't care so much for short sprints anymore as I don't play football (for a legitimate competitive team, for a rec league I do though). But I might do a 400m time, that's pretty important to me.

Now if only I had access to a crossfit gym for FREE I could have my goals for the girls. In the mean time, I'll continue to incorperate aspects of crossfit in my daily training.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Just out of curiosity what's your max weighted Pull-Up?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bennington View Post
Just out of curiosity what's your max weighted Pull-Up?
I don't know. It's not my best movement, but I've done weighted sets as high as 60lbs. for I think 8 reps or so. Recently I've been doing a lot of jumping and kipping pullups. I really think it helps my explosiveness. Actually that's another goal I'll set

30 deadweight pullups
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Saturday December 20th

(7:30 am)

Push jerk: 235x3, 255x2, 275x1, 295x1, 300x1

Weighted pullups: (40lbs) 12, 12, 10, 10

Then I did a curcuit concentrating on core and explosive movements, with a couple exercises of which I honestly don't know what they're called, . So I'll just describe them as good I can.

Explosive one armed presses on a "t-bar" (50lbs, 20 reps each arm)
Jumping pull ups (50 reps)
Side "holds" (one arm on ground balancing) with a one arm press (25lbs, 15reps each side)
Leg raises (50 reps)
Jumping pull ups (50 reps)
Weighted ab pull downs (full stack 25 reps)
Static Hold (130lb. db's)

Overall a great workout. Since changing my diet, which is working towards my goal by the way (lose bodyfat), I have so much more energy. Why haven't I been doing longer? I've been seriously neglecting fruits and veggies in my diet before and now I can see why they're so important!

I would normally incorperate some kind of full clean or snatch today, but my legs were TOO sore to do those properly after my 20 rep squats I did the other day. My body will adapt real fast though again so I'm not worried about that.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Anthony Tran

Profile:

Dylan,

Just saw your thread and I am absolutely terrified at the amount of weight being moved by a single person. Dude awesome to have you on board, your loads and reps are amazing, such high sustained power output.