CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Justin Knighten

Profile:
i got my bloodwork back from the dr this week, they had me come back in to do it again due to elevated ck (creatine kinase, im not on creatine though) levels. after some research i have determined that ck is released when muscles are damaged, it can be an indicator of a heart attack, however, i have found that heavy exercise can cause the levels to rise. i told my doc that i do high intensity lifting/exercise. they never even mentioned that as a possible cause. anybody else ever have crossfit cause these ck levels to rise? this doc actually had his nurse call me and recomend that i restrict my exercise...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I have seen my ck levels go through the roof after rugby matches, due to muscle damage, and I assume crossfit has a similar effect.

They should have also tested a CK-MB, and given a ratio, and also tested a troponin, which are both much more specific markers to cardiac injury.

Also, an extremely high CK is one of the markers for rhabdo.(rhabdomyolysis).

I would say find a new doc, or have a in depth chat with this one about your goals/lifestyle.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I would assume many active crossfitters have elevated CKs from time to time. I don't think being on creatine would do it.

I shudder to think what mine was the first time I did Linda (I did not scale). I literally felt like I was hit in the back by a car. From my neck to my knees felt like a boil. I could hardly sit at my desk, but could hardly stand up either.

In the old days this was used to determine heart damage because it was all we had in the medical toolkit so to speak. It worked because 99% of the population does not do anything vigorous enough to cause muscle damage unless you had a heart attack.

I am not even sure why it is done anymore, there must be a good markup on the test and it must be reimbursed well by ins. and medicare.

The AVERAGE physician is going to be clueless.