CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Douglas W. Hathaway

Profile:
I took an Army PT test a couple of days ago, and not my best to say the least.(I scored about 265, generally in the 280s) A few things may have conspired to push my score lower than usual, i.e. lack of sleep, acclimation to the desert, but all in all, the two events I really bombed were the pushup and situp, so I don't think I have much excuse. Plus I did:
21-18-15-12-9-6- and 3 rep rounds of:
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell swing
Pull-ups
after the PT test because I was angry with my score

My own opinion of why I did so poorly in these two events was lack of a proper warmup. I think this may be the same reason I have yet to score a 300. It certainly isn't the run, and I always feel fine for that, so I'm wondering about warmups that anyone uses for the PT test, or that one would suggest. I did about 3 sets of 5 pushups and some standing knees to elbows along with some general jumping and flailing about.

I would welcome all help, not just from those in the military. In case you're wondering, the PT test is 2 minutes max pushups, 2 minutes max situps, and 2 mile run. Theres no going to knees on the pushups, and no stopping except on the up position in situps. Also, quick side question, any recommendation on what anyone eats about an hour before this event? I ate a clif bar, don't know if it digested in time or not.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Douglas,
I don't believe you scored poorly in those two events because of a lack of warmup or a clif bar. Any 300 PTer can roll out of bed and score a 300 on the APFT. I would guess you scored poorly on the PU/situps because you do not practice them enough/or possibly not correctly. Pushups are a skill, do them, a lot of them, you will get better. Do a search for pushup improvement, you will find plenty of advice I'm sure.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
hi douglas,
i am very familiar with af pt, and helped my husband develop his squadron's pt program.
i have to agree with beau on the lack of warm up. matter of fact, i think you should have gone in completely fresh on those muscles. the warm up you did made inroads on your muscles whether you felt it or not.
a light jog of 1/2 mile, or any light activity that barely gets you sweating to get blood flow to the muscle would have served you better.
there are other factors that could have influenced your outcome...did you sleep well the night before? did you do a moderate-heavy workout the day before? are you training for sit-ups by doing sit-ups and not cruches, or cable pull overs or an ab machine? specificity of training states that to do something well, you must practice that specific movemenmt pattern. ditto push ups. sure bench presses compliment strength for push-ups, but when was the last time you benched for 2 minutes? or knees to elbows 2 minutes straight.
when can you re-test? if you able to schedule a re-test or they wont allow it, train hard and smart for 3 weeks and have a buddy test you. then you'll at least know of your improvements.

i appreciate you, what you do over there and your commitment to excellence!
--------

dy try n
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Douglas W. Hathaway

Profile:
The main reason I think that it was the warmup, is two reasons. I can drop and give more pushups after a workout than I did on the PT Test, and when doing something like "angie" I didn't ever really hit stride with pullups until about 50 until I started doing more pullups before the workout. I will admit that I probably need to practice pushups more, but I haven't done less than 80 situps in a while, and I really struggled to get to 72 this time. I just felt really tight.
I did some Yoga the night before, and hadn't done crossfit for about two days. I suppose it's back to the drawing board, and we'll see what happens in a couple of months when I take it again. Thanks for the comments.