CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Cait Connors

Profile:
30 Day Paleo Challenge and Getting My *** Off the Couch - Day 1

Hey all,

Have been well off the wagon but am back with new improvements. I've attempted to paleo and crossfit in the past but persistent poor health added some additional challenges beyond the normal motivation pitfalls we all struggle with -- was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, had serious muscle weakness/wasting, fatigue, pain, etc. Was told to go on steroids for the rest of my life to sort it out. Whilst making the decision about whether or not to do this, I had begun eating paleo or near it, and stumbled upon the fact that my systemic immune system failure was actually due to WHEAT!

Now wheat free, I'm also healthy - no RA of any kind, no drugs, no pain. I've stablised and am healthier than I've been since I was about 14.

So now, no excuses. I'm out of the gym for the moment but just want to get general fitness back up from pathetic, and am doing things at home for now. I've been active the last many months with lots of walking and hiking but nothing really more strenuous and I get out of breath running for the bus. I'm also going full paleo for 30 days, which I've never managed.

Four weeks to kick things off. Will be charting food and activity. Big challenge is no booze and no sugar - I'm basically off grains anyway.

WEEK 1, DAY 1:

Breakfast - banana.
Lunch -
Dinner -
Snacks.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Cait Connors

Profile:
Re: 30 Day Paleo Challenge and Getting My *** Off the Couch - Day 1

WEEK 1 - DAY 1 - 31 May update

Hehe, I didn't realise you couldn't edit posts! Guess I need to end of day or day after posting.

Day 1 food-
Breakfast - banana, 3 hard boiled eggs
Lunch - mackerel
Dinner - Pork loin in coconut oil, with apples and salad

1105 calories.

No formal exercise, but did pushups at every bathroom break so around 40 girl pushups for the day, which is better than nothing.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
Cait Connors

Profile:

WEEK 1 - DAY 2 - June 1st

Breakfast: 3 eggs
Snack - black coffee
Lunch: Leon Chicken Salad (grilled chicken, peas, spinach, ignored the quoina)
Dinner: Steak, cherry tomatoes, bak choi (in coconut oil)

1168 Calories.

Exercise: 2 hour walk after dinner with Stevie.

Weight: 142.5
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Cait Connors

Profile:

WEEK 1 - DAY 3 - June 2nd

Lunch: Pork Loin and tomatoes
Snack: Banana
Dinner: Massive spinach salad with egg, green beans, avocado.

Cals: 1029
Carbs: 61
Fat: 43
Protein: 57

Exercise: Not loads.
45 squats, general arms workout with kettlebells.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Cait Connors

Profile:

So, I hit a wall last evening and felt like I was coming down with a cold - today have woken up a bit out of it with some congestion. Is this the low-carb flu I hear so much about? Stevie also came home with the beginning of someone's cold a week ago, so might just be catching up with me. I'm going to stay away from exercise today, and will try to up the calories a bit as I've been shooting lower than intended and don't want to run my immune system into the ground in the name of weight-loss. It's crazy how protein and veggies fill you up so easily that it's hard to get the numbers up.

I'm going to take a lunch break at my favorite cafe today, so hopefully they'll feel like having a chunk of steak on menu for me. I'll miss the flourless brownie and coffee and cream, though! First treat for me at the end of the 30 days -- not something I eat often, but every 2 weeks or so it's very nice to have as a lunch treat.

A word on 'cheating'. My salad last night had about a teaspoon of honey in the dressing. I ain't considering that cheating. I won't be going out of my way to get honey into the diet (and sugar cravings are nonexistent so far), but a very wee bit in the occasional salad dressing doesn't concern me at all.

However, the couple of tablespoons of hummus I included DO. I think legumes are probably less an issue for me than grains/dairy/sugar/booze, but for the sake of thoroughness am going proper paleo this month. I literally put it on and ate it without thinking of it - sure if they'd been whole beans I'd not have eaten them, but had a bit of a brain fart.

Booze. This weekend has a catch-up drinks session with friends on Friday, a lunch with usually boozy friends on Sat, and a hike and evening book club on Sunday, usually also with booze. Friday is the tough one. I haven't decided yet whether I'll allow myself one drink Friday, but that's about where I'd draw the line. Sat and Sunday are booze free.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Oh! And the scale is down to 141.5 (from a start weight of around 143.5). I'm kind of ignoring it for the moment though, as I drop water weight quickly when I eat well. If I dip below 140.5 that's when I sit up and pay attention. I'm really looking forward to being below 140 again - it's been many months now.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Cait Connors

Profile:

My husband rocks. Told him I'm going full paleo for the month but was worried about going out with friends this evening - he knows the booze drill. He suggested we slip out a bit early and broadcast that fact upon arrival. If we have to show up elsewhere not-drunk (as a white lie, and in our heads) that will help. So a drink for me it is, and then I'm chilling out from there.

Anyone got any recommendations for things to drink in bars whilst on paleo, so that you can remain social? The usual dieter's trick of a diet coke obviously doesn't cut it. Suggestions?

Also, in the realm of minor victories, I didn't eat proffered potatoes today at lunch. Minor banal victories are the unlovely pavestones of the glittering road to paleo success. Or something.

Am taking others' advice on the carb flu (even if it's a real cold) and slamming water. Definitely feeling better than I did this morn.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
Cait Connors

Profile:

WEEK 1 - DAY 4 - June 3rd

So Friday went well - had one beer as planned, and food all worked out. Bumped the calories up a bit as was feeling ill.

Breakfast: Mackerel
Lunch: Grilled Chicken Salad
Dinner: Lamb and Spinach Curry
Booze: 1 beer.

1514 Cals
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
Cait Connors

Profile:

WEEK 1 - DAY 5 - June 4th

Aaand I sucked. I did just fine on food, but my plan to not drink booze at a 7 hour garden party with some of our favorite people, good booze, good news, etc - just failed.

I'm not 'starting over' on paleo though. I was happy I still made good food choices despite the alcohol surplus. No surprise I bloated up and didn't feel very nice the next day. But am taking it as it comes and we'll see how much it sets me back.

Breakfast: Eggs, smoked salmon, tea and spinach.
Lunch/Dinner over many hours: lamb chop, beef, 1 sausage, king prawns, broccoli and salad.
****up: 1 beer, pimms, whisky.

Cals. 2045
Carbs 100
Fat 55
Protein 139
Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
Cait Connors

Profile:

WEEK 1 - DAY 6 - June 4th

Forgot to mention that on the Sat even blowout we also did a couple hours worth of walking at least, so at least that balanced the calories from the booze out a bit.

Sunday all good, back on track. I at least didn't succumb to the temptation to say '**** it, messed up once, might as well eat what I like today.' And we both wanted a glass of wine with dinner desperately.

Lunch: 1/2 banana and cashews (on the road walking)
Dinner: Lamb, spinach, kale and coconut milk.

Refused my boy's sugar.

Cals:1233
Carbs: 53
Fat: 72
Protein: 97

AND WE BOUGHT A CAMPERVAN! This has been a dream since we first got together, and was put on hold the year we got married as we rustled funds for our (Very low key and cheap) wedding. This is our first big purchase since. We're very excited, though we've got to go get it serviced and tested this week to make sure all's in working order. Wish us luck.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Cait Connors

Profile:

Check it. Work family safe. Note that's not my kid... but that's my van!!!!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...mybob/79262036