CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Michael Mcilvoy

Profile:
Opening A New Box

Hi, I am going to open a box along with a friend of mine. He will be running a BJJ school and I will be handling the Crossfit side. I will be getting certified in Nov. We are currently looking at leaseing a space about 6000 sq/ft. It will run us about $ 1800/mo. It is a good location with alot of parking and the running area is very good. Out side WODS are very promising here.Does anyone have any opinions on the space/price and does this size of building seem a little too much? Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Opening A New Box

I think more important questions should be how much coaching have you done in the past?
Do you have any business experience in YOU actually running a business, and its operations?
Is this going to be your full time job?
Do you have any idea what the utilities will cost? Is CAM included in that price of $1800?
Are you currently training anyone that PAYS you, and have they agreed to continue when you move into a space?
Do you have any other training, knowledge base besides the L1 cert. you are taking in November?

Answers to those questions will help others in giving their opinion.

IMO, that is very cheap rent. Although cheap is relative. If I could start in 3,000sf for half as the 6,000 I would start smaller and save more at the start. Run smart, you can get up to a good number in a small amount of space. We've got 1500sf, expanding to a total of 4,000 before the new year. However, we've got about 64 members and don't have issues. We stagger and run in heats if needed.
15 people doing FGB in 1500sf? It's a hell of a site!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
James lee

Profile:

6000 for 1800! i wish i can get that! i would ask and use a realtor though.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Michael Mcilvoy

Profile:

Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Michael Mcilvoy

Profile:

Brian- Yes ,I have run a business before.(Steel Erection) and I have been training 5 to 6 people for over a year at my job...for free. I also have a couple of friends who will be willing to help train (L1 certified) I have found multiple buildings for our box and so far the one mentioned above is the cheapest...and the oldest. Utilities could be high there but I believe they can be managed. After further disscussion with the real estate agent I have found out that the building is actually 7200 sq/ft. It was an old car dealership. the front of the building has a showroom with glass on three sides and the Crossfit area is the 6 bay garrage with high ceilings (bar joist).
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mcilvoy View Post
Brian- Yes ,I have run a business before.(Steel Erection) and I have been training 5 to 6 people for over a year at my job...for free. I also have a couple of friends who will be willing to help train (L1 certified) I have found multiple buildings for our box and so far the one mentioned above is the cheapest...and the oldest. Utilities could be high there but I believe they can be managed. After further disscussion with the real estate agent I have found out that the building is actually 7200 sq/ft. It was an old car dealership. the front of the building has a showroom with glass on three sides and the Crossfit area is the 6 bay garrage with high ceilings (bar joist).

Some business experience while not necessary I think is helpful...whether successful or not if you learned from mistakes.
Training people for free, DOES NOT equal them joining when you charge. They may say so, since they don't want to be confrontational, but until they actually pay, I wouldn't consider them. Starting with no members while I would urge against it, is still possible.
As for your space, my opinion is the same regardless, if I could find a 2,000sf space for $500/mon I would take that over what you found. However, if you do chose that space, I would do my best to run some kind of classes IN the showroom. It can only help draw in peoples interest of those passing.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Michael Mcilvoy

Profile:

Thanks Brian . I am taking everything I can into ocnsideration. BTW, the level1 cert. I will be attending is in Charlotte. Is this at your box?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Nope, but if it's in Charlotte, it can't be more than 20 miles away.

What's the date? Shoot me a PM or email if you want to stop by.