CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Bad SS Day

I am on a linear progression for SS progressing at the below rates

Squat +10/Per Workout
Deadlift +20/PW
Bench +5/PW

The problem comes up in my press and p clean

Today I managed to strain my back, not due to bad form but a spot on my back was hurting a bit all day, and the 3 rep on the last squat set made it spasm. I finished my set in a bit of pain. I am on an ice and massage cycle this weekend, and it should heal fine.

My press, I stalled while trying to increase 2.5 pounds as I did on Monday. I just push pressed the last reps. How should I continue with press. Monday I did 90# and today I tried and failed at 97.5 lbs

On my P Clean, I have been having a problem racking. First, I am not stomping, and my racking has become very quick and with a snap of the wrist. Kind of like a bar muscle-up with low power, and how your elbows will snap into a dip position. I also picked up the lateral split that Rip warns against.

Anyways, I am cleaning 160 and deadlifting 240. Should I regress on cleans so I can fix form or just not add as much weight. Today, I progressed by 15 pounds.

As a side note, I am 17, loaded on hormones (natural for my age) and in 4 weeks gained a little less than 40 lbs of weight, and I still have a six pack in the morning (water loss). I wrestled 162 now I can eat my way past 200.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
William Jackson

Profile:
Re: Bad SS Day

how many workouts have you done? where did you start?
if im doing my math correctly 90 -> 97.5 is not 2.5# and could be a reason behind the fail.
Have you read the book? failing on one workout doesnt mean you need to reset, especially if due to adding too much weight too fast
Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

sorry, I pressed 95 of monday

this is 4th week, so 12 workouts, adding 5 lbs to press every press day
yes I have read the book
Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

It sounds like you are eating enough, unless that wrestling weight was something crazy low that you cut to.

I'm still a little sketchy on the details. Please ensure that you use proper punctuation and have proof read your posts before posting them.

Questions:
1) You said that you have been adding 5# to the press every workout, but earlier said that you stalled while trying to add 2.5# to the bar. When did you switch to 2.5# jumps and what prompted that?
2) Are you using the same bar and plates every time on the press? If you are doing 2.5# jumps then it is important to use identical materials because each plate weighs a slightly different amount.

Off hand I'd say try the press workout one more time. If you don't get all your reps then reset the press and work your way back up. Perhaps drop it back 20# and go back to 5# jumps until you make it back up to 95 or 100. As for power cleans, yes, drop the weight back down and nail the form. You can also practice power clean form as part of your deadlift warmup on deadlift day: For example, power clean 45x3, 65x3, 85x3, then switch to deadlift, 145x3, 205x2, 240x5 (work set).
Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Troy Becker

Profile:

I have a sneaking position that you missed it because of a form problem.

The press is a finicky, picky, by little exercise, and if rep #3 has you without your elbows forward enough, and you have to work just that little bit much harder to push the weight up, you're done by the time it's rep #5.

I know this from my own experience a couple times, and from some of my guys I have on SS.

REMEMBER: elbows up, up, UP! And, bring the bar down to the "shelf" (where it touches the top of the collar bone) and NO LOWER! Do not pause at the bottom, touch and go to take advantage of what little stretch-reflex you can get with this exercise.

More times than not, this is why people miss reps with the press doing SS, at least in my experience.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Troy Becker

Profile:

Also, make sure to set back in your hips and not be standing too far forward. Explaining that is almost impossible without you being in front of me, so hopefully you know what I mean.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Do you mean to "rack" the bar like a clean. I am flexible enough to hold the bar while it rests on my shoulders. Should I press it with horizontal elbows.

I'll reread that part of the press in my SS book.

Quote:
Questions:
1) You said that you have been adding 5# to the press every workout, but earlier said that you stalled while trying to add 2.5# to the bar. When did you switch to 2.5# jumps and what prompted that?
2) Are you using the same bar and plates every time on the press? If you are doing 2.5# jumps then it is important to use identical materials because each plate weighs a slightly different amount.
1) On Monday, I pressed 95 lbs. successfully. On Friday, I tried to press 100 and failed on the first rep. Thus I dropped the weight to 97.5 with which I was able to get 2-3 good reps every set, and I push pressed the rest.

2) No, I actually switched gyms for that day. I had a friend who goes to another gym, and I was trying to get him off of body builder splits.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
1) On Monday, I pressed 95 lbs. successfully. On Friday, I tried to press 100 and failed on the first rep. Thus I dropped the weight to 97.5 with which I was able to get 2-3 good reps every set, and I push pressed the rest.

2) No, I actually switched gyms for that day. I had a friend who goes to another gym, and I was trying to get him off of body builder splits.
I see now. Thank you. Check your form and then either do 95 or 97.5 one more time, if you do not get at least 4 out of 5 reps every set then reset your press (I'd drop back to at least 85 lbs, which would be about a 10% reset).