CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
peter osbourne

Profile:  
Hi, I've recently started taking an interest in crossfit and reading some of the old crossfit journals. This inspired me to make some parallettes and focus on progression from the humble pushup to a handstand (long way off!). Now I have some questions regarding the form on pushups. After reading the most recent journal on shoulder positions with overhead work, with shoulders being either active or passive, what is the correct shoulder position with parallettes pushups?
I have always kept the chest out, and shoulders back or passive, but now I'm not so sure.
Also one other point how wide should the parallettes be? when in the bottom position of a pushup should my hands contact my chest or be alittle outside my chest for more range of motion?
hope this makes sense, any help welcome
Old 09-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

The correct shoulder position for the top of the pushup is active. This will not only include the shoulders but will extend throughout the entire shoulder girdle and chest. The upper back will feel slightly round (or hollow as I refer to it) and the chest will feel pulled in. At the top of each rep there should be tension throughout the upper body as though you were trying to lift up taller.

Maintain the round (hollow body) position throughout the entire rep. Even at the bottom when it is a struggle to keep your upper back round and the hips tucked under, continue to maintain the hollow.

The easiest way to establish width of the bars is to use your forearm. Place your elbow next to one parallet and extend your fingers out towards the side. At the end of your stretched fingers is where you place the 2nd parallet.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 09-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Coach Sommer pretty much said to the letter what I would have said :-0. We seem to do that a lot.

When you do the pushup and progress to HSPU be sure to keep your elboes in against your sides. Don't let them flag out. On the HSPU if you flag them out to the side it is very unstable and you will not be able to maintain balance.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
peter osbourne

Profile:  
Thankyou for your responses as this helps a great deal. I just tried a few pushups with the hollow postion and noted that it reduced my range of motion at bottom position ( as oposed to chest out) and that my chest feels really worked, I assume from keeping the hollow position throughout the rep. One more question as regards to shoulder safety at bottom of rep between parallettes, as the shoulders are forward or 'active'putting more stress on them, is this a safe position for them?, as I'm still thinking in bench pressing mentality of shoulders back or youll hurt your shoulders. sorry for more questions as I like to know as many details as I can.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
At the bottom of the rep let your shoulders drop some and your chest open a bit. This will increase your ROM and also make the excersize more functional. As you push up that's when you want to extend to the shoulders forward hollow position.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

My personal recommendation, and the method that I generally use with my athletes, is to maintain the hollow during the bottom of the movement.

Yes, it is more difficult.

No, it will not injure your shoulders. To the contrary, in addition to making your regular pushups more productive, being able to maintain a hollow position at the bottom is an essential step in preparing your shoulder girdle and upper back for all variations of planche pushups in the future - if you should be so inclined to attempt to struggle that far up the bodyweight mastery ladder.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Christopher, are you including keeping the shoulders pushed down as part of the hollow? I agree that the body should be kept hollow, but I want to see full articulation in the shoulder through the motion so allow the shoulders to press back at the bottom. I'll have to play with keeping the shoulders forward at the bottom. See what kind of effect is has...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

Roger,

The desired end result will pre-determine the body position to be used during a particular exercise. There are many variations of movement possible with this exercise. In terms of training efficiency, care should be taken to choose the variation which is most applicable for a given training goal.

In this instance, my recommendation was to maintain the hollow at all times to assist with the future development of a planche pushup. Allowing the shoulders to articulate backward will rob the shoulder girdle and trapezius of a great deal of strength just when it is needed most. The nature of the relationship between the shoulder girdle and the rest of the upper body will require the shoulders to press forward strongly to generate maximum power in a significantly disadvantaged leverage situation.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/14223.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/14224.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/14225.jpg
Old 09-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
peter osbourne

Profile:  
Many thanks time to get some practise on the parallettes!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Understood, and I concur Christopher.