CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
John de la Garza

Profile:
I'm trying to cut down on how much stuff I have at home and save some space. Looking for feedback.

Would you say I can replace squats with bodyweight single leg squats?

I'm considering getting rid of my power cage. The only thing I use it for is squating. If I felt that onelegged bodyweight squats would giving me an equal workout as squats with weights I'd get rid of it.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
This is my newbie opinion: I don't think pistols are a replacement for heavy squats. Example, I can probably knock off 15 one legged squats and I can't backsquat 200 in all likilihood.

However, if you can still do front squats and deadlifts, I think backsquats aren't crucial.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
John,

I do both and while pistols are a fine exercise, I don't think they are a good replacement for weighted squats of any kind.

If you must get rid of your squat rack due to space constraints :sad:, you might consider replacing it with squat racks and safety stands. You can still do heavy barbell work safely and put the equipment into a corner or closet when finished...
Old 11-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
John de la Garza

Profile:
Yea, I guess this is kind of what I was thinking, just wanted to hear someone say, "you can just do pistols"

I'll probably opt for some squat stands.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Douglas Sunlin

Profile:  
Is it true that when you go from regular squats to single-leg squats or pistols, you begin using a couple new muscles that you weren't using previously?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Dustin Rodgers

Profile:
I've been doing quite a bit of weighted squats lately, becase unfortunately, my bench max and squat max are the same! I just started trying the pistols out and the difference is huge for me. Pistols (just bodyweight) are kicking my tail. Hat's off to Kelly who's doing weighted pistols!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Douglas, I find holding the non-working leg straight out in front pretty challenging for my abs and quads; I feel like pistols activate the sartorious a lot more, or maybe in a different way. I'm just the opposite of Paul; I can crank off a few sets of 200 back squats, but I struggle with pistols.

I do find that holding a 10 or 25 pound plate makes the pistols a lot easier than doing them without weight; I think it might be because my lower back's not all that strong. (Yet!)
Old 11-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #8
John de la Garza

Profile:
Would you also say that weighted back squats work different muscles than pistols or do pistols work a superset of the squatting muscles?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Mark Roughton

Profile:
I would say they work the same muscles differently. Pistols challenge my lower back strength and hip flexibility in a way that regular back squats don't. For me, pistols seem more similar to OH squats than back squats, but I'm guessing that goes right back to flexibility and low back strength. That's probably just me, though. For someone with better lower back strength and hip flexibility, it might be different.

(Also, just to clarify my previous post...when I say I find weighted pistols easier, I'm not drawing any comparisons to Kelly. I'm certain her weighted pistols are nothing like mine. Her form is spot-on strict, where I'm using the plate as a way to cheat and get some extra leverage out of the hole. Sort of like comparing a Daewoo to a Porsche.)
Old 11-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Weighted back squats also work your core strength stabilizers where pistols work single leg balance stabilizers.

They are not totally interchangable, but are in the same family. I would think with pistols and front squats / DLs you would be covered enough to leave out the back squats without a huge detriment to leg strength.