CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Luke Hale

Profile:
Pushups with feet elevated

Since discovering CF my pushup has developed from barely being able to do about 8, to being able to knock out a workout with 21, 15 & 9 reps ok

Today I realised I have only been doing basic pushups with my feet on the ground, and that I should really try and develop my upper chest too mostly as I'm trying to get rid of the last of my man boobs and I think as my lower chest is growing it seems to be making them more obvious! I also want to develop a lot more strength in my shoulders.

Should I do all pushups from now on with feet raised on say a chair? (bearing in mind at the moment I am doing pushups instead of pullups for a lot of wods)

How important is it to do pushups in this way?

And also what sort of height is good to aim for?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Pushups with feet elevated

Pushups with raised feet are a step toward handstand pushups, so it's certainly okay to do them.

Although if you're subbing pushups for pullups you might want to look at scaled pullups (jumping, banded, gravitron-assisted) instead of more difficult pushups.

Katherine
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Pushups with raised feet are a step toward handstand pushups, so it's certainly okay to do them.

Although if you're subbing pushups for pullups you might want to look at scaled pullups (jumping, banded, gravitron-assisted) instead of more difficult pushups.

Katherine

Unfortunately not doing pullups is due to not having a pull up bar.

Can't afford a gym membership and live in a rented house so can't bolt anything to the walls etc. Am toying with the idea of getting a door gym (the kind that hook around a door frame with no fixings), but none of the internal doors in our house are in solid brick walls its all just stud walls and plasterboard ...I'm worried I'll damage a doorframe or worse!

and there are no parks or suitable trees etc nearby
Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Luke,

Moobs (man-boobs) are a function of bodyfat, which is a function of diet.

Building the pectoral muscle underneath that layer of fat can make the appearance better or worse. If your level of fat there is relatively small, it'll generally give better appearance the more muscle you build. If there's a lot of fat there, bigger muscles underneath may just exacerbate the appearance problem.

The long and short of it is if you want to change your appearance, you need to attack it with your diet.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
Luke,

Moobs (man-boobs) are a function of bodyfat, which is a function of diet.

Building the pectoral muscle underneath that layer of fat can make the appearance better or worse. If your level of fat there is relatively small, it'll generally give better appearance the more muscle you build. If there's a lot of fat there, bigger muscles underneath may just exacerbate the appearance problem.

The long and short of it is if you want to change your appearance, you need to attack it with your diet.
I assure you I am doing everything I can to improve my diet and am making steps in the right direction every day.

There's not a lot of fat there anymore, but I think my lower pecs have developed a lot more than the upper and that is something I need to address.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"but I think my lower pecs have developed a lot more than the upper and that is something I need to address."

Wait, did biotest just buy out Glassman? Stop thinking upper and lower pecs. Really, right now. Stop. Think about "how much can I press?". Either in terms of reps of max weight. Form follows function, not the other way around. If you want to do pushups with your feet elevated, fine, but make sure to raise you hands as well so you can get the same Range of motion (ROM) due to you head hitting the ground first.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Wait, did biotest just buy out Glassman?

That would be a sure sign of the Apocalypse.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

No, I think that would be a sign Greg REALLY wants that new jet. I think CFBB would be a sing of the Apocalypse.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Chris Patterson

Profile:

Luke,

I have an iron gym in the same type of door frame you are referring to. I weigh almost 225lbs. and I have damaged the iron gym more than the door frame. The cantilever design distributes the weight well.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Patterson View Post
Luke,

I have an iron gym in the same type of door frame you are referring to. I weigh almost 225lbs. and I have damaged the iron gym more than the door frame. The cantilever design distributes the weight well.
Same here, but with the old "as seen on TV" Door Gym, which seems to work fine. Did leave a bit of dark residue where one of the supports contacts the drywall, but it's easily cleanable (and I have a piece of paper in there now), and no real damage at all.