CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
DAY 4 Thursday 04.23.09

04.23.09 Thursday

Woke up at 545am with a headache. Tried to go back to sleep but couldn't .

615am med1 with 8 oz water

630am 8 oz water

642am stomach upset from meds - talked to a pharmacist and she said I could take it with food! Hungry...

646am 6 oz water

703am 6 oz water
Stomach hurts...

710am Headache about 5/10.

710am-730am "Breakfast"

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_tr...=4%2F23%2F2009 (WFS)

832am 6 oz water.

930am IntraMax with 8 oz water

11am dragging...must be crashing...headache had decreased to ignorable, suddenly increased to 6/10. Can't take meds for 15 more minutes because I took Intramax. Also hungry but want to wait to eat when I take meds to avoid stomach upset.

1130am med1 with 8 oz water

1145am "Preworkout snack"
Doubled fat blocks in an attempt to feel better/fuel workout coming up. Feel overheated again...

1230ish WOD
Rx'd WOD is "Filthy 50", but all but one of the movements aggravates the he!! out of my hamstring (had an MRI today to see if I tore the muscle/pulled the tendon away from the bone). Instead:

Max dead-hang pull-ups
Rest 2 min
Max dips
Rest 2 min
Max sit-ups
Rest 2 min
x3 rounds

Pull-ups 8/7/6 - around 03.01.09, my max was 5, woo hoo!
Dips 15/13/12 - kipping on the dips hurt my hamstring, so I don't think these were true maxes
Sit-ups (anchored) - 125/125/125 - not max, got bored, gave up. Will start incorporating more "GHD" sit-ups every day to build up tolerance so I can create more challenge with sit-ups in my workouts.

215pm-3pm "Lunch"

345pm 3rd med1 with 8 oz water

5:10pm 6 oz water

615 pm suddenly very hungry. Thought I shouldn't have to eat til a little after 7. Thinking back to lunch...yep, forgot my fat blocks again!

6:40pm finally able to grab a handful of nuts “Snack2”

710pm 6 oz water

733pm 6 oz water

720pm-8pm "Dinner"
I made a sauce with olive oil, cracked sea salt, cracked black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and used it for dipping my baked chicken bite by bite. It was SO good. I realized that it was very similar to the cracked pepper dipping oil used for breads at Italian restaurants, and the oil is what is so awesome, not necessarily the bread!

9:39pm As soon as I post this I’m going to bed! Last night got to bed at 10:35. Plan to be in bed by 10:15 tonight, and try to step my bedtime back each night til I get to 9 and keep it there!

Commentary for the day
Except for forgetting to add fat blocks to lunch, meals were pretty satisfying! No unexplained hunger, no cravings. Missing my peanut butter right now, but I don't even want to let myself indulge in almond butter because I had so much olive oil with dinner.

I've figured out that I can't let more than 4 hours pass between doses of my headache meds, which is ridiculous. Fortunately I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss changing to a slow-release form.

10pm OK...just about to hit submit and sudden hunger. I know I won't be able to sleep hungry. Grabbed another handful of nuts.
"Bedtime Snack"
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Re: Kristie does 30 Days in "Paleo Lockdown"

Had to update yesterday's sparkpeople because my "handful" of mixed nuts actually weighs out to 2 ounces, and not 1. Oops. Good thing I'm not concerned about calories!

The link in the previous post works for the updated page.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Joel Bretz

Profile:

wow Kristie. your level of detail amazes me. I could not keep/take notes that often.

Are you doing the fiesta run next weekend?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Brittany Warren

Profile:

You inspired me to try almond butter -- good stuff!

I hope today went well...how's the hamstring treating you?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Bretz View Post
wow Kristie. your level of detail amazes me. I could not keep/take notes that often.
Lol! I'm sure it appears that it would be quite time consuming, but I have a PDA phone with Microsoft Word which has a bunch of short cuts so it takes no time! For example, I just type "6", and it automatically gives me the option to insert "6 oz water."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Bretz View Post
Are you doing the fiesta run next weekend?
I wish!! Running is the one activity that is excruciating to my hamstring injury. Every couple weeks I try to push through it and run anyway, and most recently it was "Helen" on Monday, and it's still killing me from that workout. My doc's suggestion was to take a month of any kind of exercise. Yeah....that's not going to happen.

What about you; are you doing the Fiesta?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Warren View Post
You inspired me to try almond butter -- good stuff!

I hope today went well...how's the hamstring treating you?

Mmm, almond butter! I'm going to try mine mixed with frozen cherries tonight.

Today did go well; the true test will be this weekend. When I'm not on a schedule, I have a tendency to crave/consume crap! But since my motivation is health-related and not appearance-related, I think it might be easier this time around...

My hamstring hurts horribly! Thanks for asking! Today I knew I couldn't do "Michael" because of the running, so I subbed my box's alternate WOD (I co-own a facility; we hope to affiliate within a year!). It sucked during it, but it didn't feel any worse afterwards!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Day 5 Friday 04.24.09

Didn't get to bed til 11 last night.

Woke up with only a mild headache today (2/10). Woo hoo!

545am 8 oz water

6 am 8 oz water

608am
My stomach hurts but I haven't even taken my meds...I wonder if it's because I cut yogurt out? (no live cultures = stomach bacteria not staying balanced? I've had issues with this in the past...)

610am "Breakfast"
No fat added because the sausage has 25 grams!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_tr...=4%2F24%2F2009

615am 1st med1 with 6 oz water

633am 6 oz water

650 am finally finished breakfast!

I have to note that the headaches are getting better! Waking up more alert, less listless.

653 am Ok...taking meds with food didn't help.

730am 6 oz water

806am headache increased a little (3/10). Stomach still upset. Just feels like sour stomach/hunger but not. Wierd combo.

826am headache up to 4-5/10

930am 6 oz water

1030am 6 oz water

1121am soooo sleepy...man, when these meds wear off, the crash effect is ridiculous!

11:26am "Snack", 2nd med1 with 8 oz water

12:56pm hungry! And I don't have to worry about Zoneing, so I can eat if I want! "Snack2"

150pm Intramax with 8 oz water

230-330pm "Lunch"

251pm 6 oz water

351pm 3rd med1 with 8 oz water
Ugh, my belly is so full. Can't even think about doing a WOD. Bleah.

5pm WOD
Running kills my hamstring injury (and my abs are SO sore from the 375 situps I did yesterday!) so I skipped Michael and did my box's alternate WOD:

Warm-up
Run (ha, more like gimp) 200m
3 "Cindy" rounds
Run 200m
3 "Cindy" rounds

Part 1
Max reps of tire flips in 60 seconds, rest 2 minutes; 3 rounds
Round 1: 19
Round 2: 20
Round 3: 21

Part 2
4 rounds for time of:
10 sumo deadlift high pulls
5 hang power cleans
10 push jerk
Time: 12:15

My business partner set up a 95# bar for me to use but after a few test reps, I decided it was too much for my hamstring, and scaled down to 75#. It wasn't pleasant during the workout, but no worse for the wear afterwards!

6pm 6 oz water

7pm 6 oz water

715pm 6 oz water

815pm 6 oz water

8:31pm
Just now getting hungry...

9pm "Dinner"

915 med2 with 6 oz water

10:15 6 oz water

10pm a Paleo treat... "Bedtime snack"

Commentary on the day
I figured out that if I remember to take my meds no more than 4 hours apart, the headaches stay ignorable. Had an appointment with my doc today, and when he heard that, he prescribed me a different form of the medicine that's slow-release. Optimistic about that change!

I'm slowly letting go of the compulsion to Zone every thing I put in my mouth. Not worrying about getting the same number of blocks of carbs as protein with breakfast was so liberating!

This time around hasn't been as hard as the last time it seems...Maybe it's because the motivation is health-related instead of appearance-related. Maybe it's because I know I get to have my chocolate bar tomorrow! This weekend will be the true test!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Brittany Warren

Profile:

How was the chocolate bar?? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #19
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Warren View Post
How was the chocolate bar?? Inquiring minds want to know!
Lol! Would you believe....after all that hype and build-up...

I decided "forget the chocolate bar, I'm having wine and I'm going out dancing!!"

(Remember my cheat rule is dessert OR wine, not both)

Decanting the wine now...
Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
DAY 6 Saturday April 25

Ok, so today started off OK, but my food choices/meal timing seem to have been way off. A lot of hunger today, and annoyance. Then I went out...I should have learned my lesson with my last challenge - alcohol = increased carb cravings + decreased inhibitions. At least it didn't lead to a sugar and grains binge like last time...

(Friday night)
1209am why am I not in bed?!
Actually didn't eat the cherries/almond butter til about 15 minutes ago and my stomach started hurting within minutes. I've got to get some probiotics or something.

Went to bed around 1215am. Woke up 3 times having to go to the bathroom! That'll teach me to have so much asparagus for dinner. Stupid diuretic. Now I feel so dehydrated. Ugh.

(Saturday)
815am 8 oz water
My stomach hurts!!

833am 8 oz water

848am 6oz water
Breakfast
4 sausage links
140g peaches with cinnamon

903am 1stmed1 with 6 oz water

914am finished breakfast

1009am 6 oz water
My stomach is killing me!!
This isn't the same as the stomach upset I get from the meds. It's like a burning/acid/stomach lining pain combined with pressure right below xiphoid process. How does cutting out the foods that most commonly trigger sensitivities cause the most common symptoms of food sensitivities??

While I'm discussing ailments, my hamstring feels better today! Doesn't ache as much just doing nothing, and the resisted movements that bother it aren't as painful. Still hurts terribly when I try to stretch it.

1042am
Well, that was short-lived. I just did a *very* short POSE demo for a couple members. 2 sprints, *maybe* 20 yards each. My hamstring feels like someone stabbed me repeatedly in its attachment site. And now let's add lateral thigh and calf numbness and lateral foot burning to the list of symptoms. Good thing I had an MRI Thursday...

1122am 6 oz water

1206pm Hungry! So turkey sausage + grapefruit fulfilling, turkey sausage + peaches not so much...
Snack
17 almonds
4 walnut halves

1222pm 6 oz water

103 2ndmed1 with 6 oz water

120 6 oz water
My stomach pain had subsided (at least enough that I didn't notice it anyway) and now it's back!

155pm suddenly *very* hungry...
Lunch
3.5 oz pork tenderloin
125g asparagus
280g romaine
120g grape tomatoes
Lemon juice, salt, pepper
9 cashews

218pm 6 oz water

227pm finished lunch SO full...
I'm wondering if overstuffing myself is (1) having a mitigating effect on any crappy carb cravings I might have, or (2) exacerbating my stomach problems...

336pm double dose Intramax with 8 oz water

436pm 6 oz water

515pm hungry. And ridiculously irritable, have been so for almost an hour!

536pm 3rdmed1 with 8 oz water
Shopped at the natural food co-op for some non-dairy probiotics. The 2 choices they had contained either garbanzo beans or sucrose and fructose. Decided to hold off. Found some digestive enzymes and probiotic pills in my pantry, but they contain fillers (magnesium stearate, calcium carbonate...). Grr. Aloe vera juice it is... I'll start taking it every morning when I wake up.

542pm
Snack
1 T almond butter

607pm I am suddenly acutely aware that I need some not-in-front-of-the-computer-or-TV down time...I'm thinking forget chocolate; I'm having wine tonight and going out dancing!

650pm 6 oz water

750pm 6 oz water

8pm dinner
4 oz 90% lean pan-grilled hamburger with
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground mustard, onion powder
Broccoli soup (pureed broccoli stalks, coconut milk, white pepper, onin powder, ground mustard)
1 T almond butter
Wine!! (Blackstone Merlot)

853pm 6 oz water

And then I left the house and met a friend to go out dancing...After 2 glasses of wine, we decided that since the loose Paleo rules include "some starch" that it would be perfectly acceptable to have a shot of a vodka distilled from potatoes. ONE shot. Ha ha. I don't really care to go into the details, but let's just say it led to more than that, we closed down the dance club, and got back to her house a little before 3am, where I prowled around her kitchen looking for something to eat.

8pm-2am
3 glasses of merlot
more shots of vodka than I care to admit

3:15am
Snack
2 ounces andouille sausage