CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Don Gardner

Profile:
Steel Bumper Plates

I recently came across a great deal on some used steel bumper plates. They come from a University and are all in excellent condition. These plates are steel with very thick rubber rims.(http://www.gillathletics.com/GillIte...px?FSID=WT245R).

In the past I have only used solid rubber bumper plates. The price can't be beat but I was wonderining if anyone here has used this type of bumper plate?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Steel Bumper Plates

I had some Hamptons in that style. The larger sizes were fine, but the lighter bumpers were entirely too thin at the hub. They wobbled on the bar a whole bunch. They would not stand up straight and as a result they scratched the heck out of the bar. So.... check the fit.

York used to make bumpers in that style. The style is okay as long as the rubber is thick and securely mounted on the rim.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

The only problem you might have with steel bumpers is that they won't last as long as rubber bumpers. Someone that I used to work out with said that steel bumpers tended to last about a year at the club where he worked out at as a teenager. He was on a European junior national team, so the bumpers probably got a lot of use. The other problem to consider is that one that Lincoln mentioned: wobble. If the plates wobble, they will dig into the bar. The brass sleeves on rubber bumpers are softer than the steel bar and won't do much damage, if any. But the steel bumpers can dig into bar and "hammer" it out of round.

Last edited by Jose M. Perez; 01-19-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Rick Frazier

Profile:

Don,

We actually have two pair of these powermax 45's and one pair of the 25's. We bought them three years ago and they have held up well. Some pro's and con's

pro's: Consistent width between various weights. The 45's and 25's are very close in width to each other and seem to be about what a standard iron 45# plate is. This is good when you start getting up in weight on the bar for things like deadlift. With the all rubber bumpers, you quickly run out of room on the bar because they are so much wider (3.5" each for 45# plate). This also is a factor is you use storage racks for your weights. You can stack four powermax bumpers in the same area as two of the all rubber bumpers.

con's: They don't bounce as much as the all rubber bumpers. Not too much of a big deal if you use a platform, but it seems that most of our members like the bounce. Related to this, the powermax make more noise when they are dropped. I've read were people have claimed the rubber edge of the powermax has come off of the iron center, but we haven't experienced that.

We've more all rubber bumpers (kraiburgs) than we do the powermax but we'll be making another powermax purchase soon for the very reason of running out of room on the bar using the kraiburgs. If you have or plan to have a deadlift over 500#, you'll need conventional iron plates, the powermax bumpers or really high end bumpers (eleiko, etc.) to fit that much weight on the bar.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Don Gardner

Profile:

Thanks, your answer does help allot.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Thomas V. Rivera

Profile:
Smile Re: Steel Bumper Plates

Best bumpers are one part constructed and are all rubber not encased. In addition, you want to have steel in frame to keep it durable, bronze will bend over time! The bumpers that I use are the G2 bumpers these things are awesome there IWF certified and have small thickness allows for 660lbs on a barbell cant find that right now! And the price is great! I got them at

www.thegaragegymstore.com
Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Paul LaDuke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas V. Rivera View Post
Best bumpers are one part constructed and are all rubber not encased. In addition, you want to have steel in frame to keep it durable, bronze will bend over time! The bumpers that I use are the G2 bumpers these things are awesome there IWF certified and have small thickness allows for 660lbs on a barbell cant find that right now! And the price is great! I got them at

www.thegaragegymstore.com
The Garage Gym bumpers are NOT IWF certified. They meet IWF color specs, but they are not certified. The certification process is extremely rigorous because these sets will be used in IWF sanctioned meets. In order to meet the certification standards, every single bumper plate produce must be within extremely tight tolerances (were are talking just a few grams on every plate!). These tolerances drive up the costs for many reasons (skilled labor, better machines, higher % of mistakes, time to check tolerances). Very, very few companies have the IWF certification (none in the US anymore, unless York is back into it and I don't think they are) and those companies that do also have non-certified sets that they sell for training. Almost no one buys a certified set for training.

I am not saying don't buy the bumper, they are a good training bumper. I am merely trying to educate the Crossfit community what the IWF certification is and what it means.

Happy lifting!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Robert Fontaine

Profile:

The plates pointed to in the picture appear to be a very limited form of "bumper" plate. More like regular steel weights with a rubber edge.

Serious bumper plates http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/2kcompbump.html wfs or or http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/bumper-plates.php wfs do indeed have steel centres.

As has been said previously the big advantage to these composite bumpers beyond being certified for weight or close to it is that you can put an obscene amount of weight on the bar.

The disadvantage is that they are a lot more expensive than the recycled rubber bumpers.

I have no intention of ever lifting an "obscene" amount of weight. I do hope for a 500 pound squat however. My current bumpers measure 2.75" in diameter. My current bar gives me about 14.5", 14 to be safish.

My current bumpers Wright Rubber will get me to 495 with my bar
The G2S bumpers 2.36" would get me to 585 with 45's on my bar

The G2S video gets 720 pounds on a bar using 25 kilo plates with their bar
http://www.theg2scart.com/SearchResults.asp wfs

So this tells me 2 things:
1. My current "good" bar will likely end up in my power rack.
2. If I focus primarily on strength and it turns out I have the capacity then next year I might get to buy me some narrower bumpers.
3. My ocd and ego outpace my ability to lift stuff and if I break into the 2X body weight club I should probably be spending my time on other aspects of fitness rather than trying to become an elite lifter at an age where I should know better.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Robert, if you have a power rack, why would you need bumpers to perform squats? You could just pick up 2 300lb weight sets for cheap on CL and call it a day. I would buy bumpers just enough for olympic movements. I have more than 1000lbs in steel plates, but I also have a 300lb bumper set.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Robert Fontaine

Profile:

You are right of course, but I like bumpers. Did I mention the ocd?

I'm likely going to sell off about 500# in steel weights to make more room and fund my habit. My power rack is a free-spotter http://www.shermworks.com/ wfs I'd also like to learn how to use stands and dump on the platform.