CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Paul Glasheen

Profile:
Need help with the process

I'm in the early stages of getting a small facility underway and I really need some help with the progression of idea to reality. My research at this point has me wanting to set up an L.L.C. I'm in a very small seasonal town and will have no employees for the near future. Have most owners set up the L.L.C. with a more general name like Ace Training Center(just example) and then somehow added the Crossfit name later as they become affiliated? I'm a little hazy on this part of the process, never had my own business before and it's been a lot of learning so far. I appreciate any help you can give on this!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Robert van der Heyden

Profile:
Re: Need help with the process

I know if you search around on the "Running a Crossfit Facility" forum you will find more then enough information to send you on your way.

As for your question on naming your LLC, I have found that many people use a name that is easily transferalbe amongst many different industries and business types ( you wouldn't want to start a day care later called "Crossfit Ace Training Day care"). You would file a DBA "Doing buisness as" under your CF affiliate name instead.

Hope that helps
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Todd Lynch

Profile:

Agree with Robert. You want a general name for "business" and then you can add the DBA for what you want to run your facility as.

You may want to talk to an accountant about what is best for you to set-up. We chose a S-Corp for some tax savings. More paperwork involved though. Spend the money to consult with an attorney and accountant now to avoid problems in the future!

"Train hard or stay home"
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Paul Glasheen

Profile:

Thanks guys! I'll definitely take your advice and spend the money for consults with attorney and accountant. The community and knowledge base here is awesome!