CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
July 12th - 13th - LVL 1 Cert - Site of DA games

Sup everyone

I'm finnally going to my certification

Can't tell y'all how happy I am and how much the next 12 days are going to pass slowly...

Anyways, anyhow any one else on the boards going there?

Also I'd like some tips from the locals or people that are closer and more used to the States than I am. I actually never been in the States besides flying over it o_O

I want to surf. Which Beach would you recommend? What would be the expense of renting a board ?

Would you suggest San Jose International Airport (SJC) or Monterey Peninsula Airport (MRY) ?

I will pass ALL my free time outside of the certs on the beach...any tips on the hotel I should go to, or at least which zone would be better?

How about we meat some other crossfiter on the beach for a workout after/before the cert?

I think thats enough questions so far.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
Re: July 12th - 13th - LVL 1 Cert - Site of DA games

Having grown up in Monterey, the airport there is much, much smaller than San Jose international. Its primarily used for people living in the area, and for business travelers. I couldn't say for sure that there are any direct flights to the airport, other than puddle jumpers. If you're looking for more flight options and less expense, then San Jose is a much better place to land. Its really not that far away from Santa Cruz, maybe thirty minutes depending on how you drive.
Beaches?? I'm not too experienced with the immediate area, but San Jose has zero. Palo Alto is probably the nearest beach area. Santa Cruz offers some of the better surf conditions in the area.
As far as hotels, well take your pick in San Jose. Santa Cruz, I don't recall too well. Being Monterey, I never had a need for them there.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Uh . . . Palo Alto does NOT have beaches. Tidal marshes, maybe, but not beaches.

Santa Cruz has many pleasant beaches, some with good surfing. But it's also sort of notorious for being extremely "territorial" and not welcoming of newcomers (unless it's changed a lot from when I was spending time there) . . . many people have "locals only" mentality. I would ask at local surf shops . . . there may be specific spots that are friendlier for an out-of-towner.

Flights to Monterey are going to cost a lot more (I think) that to San Jose. You'll want to rent a car to get around, either way . . . public transportation in the US is pretty weak.

You may have less free time than you expect on the actual Certification days. It's not that they go 18 hours, but there's usually enough training opportunities to tire you out, and there's usually a semi- or fully-organized dinner every night.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Uh . . . Palo Alto does NOT have beaches. Tidal marshes, maybe, but not beaches.
Hey, for central cal, marshes ARE the beaches!!
Ohh and I forgot to mention to bring your wet suit. Its flippin cold water!!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Thanks guys for the tips so far!

I dont really want a nice white sand beach...but I'm used to the sea. A lot. My mother throw me in the sea at 5 month old on the coast of Morrocco and since then I feel better in water than on earth

I really only want to dive in the sea, swim until the coast is so little, then swim back. And surf or bodyboarding as well!

So the water is cold!? Hope I can handle it... hehe

As for my free times I think I'll land friday morning or afternoon, that's my "free-time" eheh. I'm also used to wakin' up around 5 AM and sleep at 9-10PM so it might leave me an 1h or 2h at the beach before the cert in the morning I was thinking.

As far as the territorrial thing, I'm usually quite diplomatic and social but who knows...thanks for the heads up David

FOr the San Jose vs Monterey thing It seems you're right Bart, so far the prices have been a bit higher...but it was mainly due to the fact that the hotel were more classy hotels I think

My travel deal WILL have a car included, I've been told what you said about the public transportation in the States David.

Riding to Santa Cruz, hitting the beach there on friday might sound like a plan tho, I guess it's something like 1h30-2h drive depending on traffic? I'll stick to the marshes for Sat and Sun

Thanks again guys, Such a great time in perspective!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

No way would it take that long to drive from San Jose to Santa Cruz. Only if you drive like a grandma. Its about thirty miles between the two cities. But then again, it would also depend on what time you landed, jet lag, all that fun travel stuff.
But yes, count on the water being cold... Even during the summer time.
The reason for the prices being higher in Monterey for hotels at least, is that a majority of them are bed and breakfasts. There is one Hilton I believe, and a newer Marriot I think in Seaside. Other than that, its all b&b's. There tends to be a high number of upper income people living there as well. Don't get me wrong though, if you did stay there one or two nights, its worth the cash. Monterey is definitely a place worth going to see. Although Monterey is indeed a good 2 hours away from San Jose.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Thanks for the details Bart,

I'm starting to finalize everything (talk about last minute), lots of hotels are booked I think I'll end up in Watsonville, It shouldn't be that far from Santa Cruz and it's close to the site.

I've heard that to rent a car I need to be 25 years old? I'm 24 and have been driving for the past 6 years , Think there is any way around this?

I might alos stay couple of extra days, so I might have the opportunity to check out all the affiliates in the Santa Cruz region!!! If a car I can get...

Else how am I supposed to get from one place to another? I've heard cabs are getting quite expensive and public transportation is close to none-existent....

*EDIT*

Ok I did panic when my sister told me that, did my homework tho and find out that it's ok to rent a car @ 24, but there's gonna be some fee's....oh well

Last edited by Frederic Giraud; 07-01-2008 at 07:47 AM..
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

You can indeed rent cars under 25, but like you said, there is a fee for it. You're a "driving risk" at such a young age.
You're doing the cert at Aromas right? While Watsonville is super close, you may end up slightly disappointed by staying there. I don't know what your budget limit is, but I would try to avoid staying there. That whole area is the heartland of farming for California. I think somewhere around 70% of the nations produce comes from the valley area. With Watsonville, Gilroy, Salinas, and a couple of others being in the center of it. I don't know how Salinas is doing these days, but they used to have serious gang problems a few years back, so avoid staying there if it hasn't changed much. Gilroy is the garlic capital, so tread carefully.
I would say your best bets would be maybe Hollister for proximity, then Aptos, Soquel, Santa Cruz area. Just a personal opinion as far as spending money and getting something out of it.
No matter where you end up staying though, all of those places are an easy half hour to hour drive within everything. So you will be able to see other things, if you desired.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Thanks Bart!

I'm pretty sure I'll stay in San Jose and just ride around.

Perhaps go to San Fran but I think I'll stick to the beach & surf :P
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

Hey Frederic I am also going! I live in Monterey so I won't be staying up there, but I am pretty familiar with the area. Basically everyone has already given you great advice so far. If you have any other questions let me know. Look forward to seeing you at the cert.