CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Scott Dyck

Profile:
rubber rimmed vs. solid bumper plates

I need bumper plates. There's no two ways about it. Rubber rimmed cost less, and most likely I'll be lifting in the backyard on a plywood platform. Any advice? Or more specifically, is there any reason i shouldn't get the rubber rimmed plates?
Much thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: rubber rimmed vs. solid bumper plates

not enough bounce, harder on your platform, don't last as long as solid rubber, I just don't like them as much. Is that good enough?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I don't know how much bounce I need, and to be honest I have an almost unlimited supply of plywood for platforms. Durability would be a plus. But to answer your question, your answer is definitely good enough! Thank you very much for your time, Veronica! I truly appreciate the help i get here.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

you're welcome Scott. I'm sure other's have their own opinions on type as well as brand. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Im using rubber rimmed myself right now. The rubber is probably 1" or thicker depending on the plate. 15kg and up are the correct size but my 10 kg are small like a steel 25 # plate.

Veronica is right, they do not provide as much bounce as the rubber plates. However, I have dropped them on my concrete slab garage floor with no adverse affects yet. Plus they don't sound as cool dropping them as real rubber plates.

This was my first set and I got a really good deal on them. If I had some extra dough, and I will the next time around, I would get solid rubber. If the price is right though, the rubber rimmed will work just fine.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Keep an eye on craigslist too. I picked up an olympic barbell with a pair of "foam plates" [45 lb. rubber bumpers] for $75 last month.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I looked around some more, and found these solid rubber bumpers for pretty cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cap-barbell-olym...QQcmdZViewItem

I've never heard of Cap Barbell before. Anyone else know anything about the quality?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I prefer the Rubber. I have a bunch of Kraibergs I got from Alf Caldwell at Rubberman. Good price, quick service. Good investment.

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
Rick Frazier

Profile:

I've got both rubber rimmed (powermax brand) as well as the solid rubber (kraiburg). Both work well, so it comes down to personal preference. A couple of things I've noticed:

1. Rubber rimmed don't bounce as much when dropped. The kraiburgs will really bounce, whereas the powermax not so much.

2. If using on plain concrete, both will scuff, although it seems the solid rubber scuff more or at least show the scuffs more than the rubber rimmed. I use the standard homemade platform (5 sheets 3/4" plywood, stall mats) for most of my lifting and only lift on plain concrete when we're doing multiple bar WOD's.

3. While both are the standard 17" diameter, the rubber rimmed stay a consistent thickness, whereas the solid rubber thickness vary depending on weight. This really surprised me when I first received the kraiburg 45# plates. It's not a big deal UNLESS you're trying to stack some serious weight on the bar (think 400+ DL), then you tend to start running out of room with the solid rubber. This may be a factor in storage as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Jeff Davis

Profile:

Rubber rimmed plates are garbage and sell for almost the same amount as Glenn Pendlay sells his solid rubber bumpers. They are loud, they crack, the rubber rim falls off...

I was suckered into a salesman's pitch for the rubber rims, "oh I been using them for years, they are great, durable etc...". Then I saw a pic of him and it looks like he doesn't work out at all...

w/fs: http://store.wfwlucb.com