CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Here is a question:

We are getting ready to open our stand alone box. A real question is what you are doing for your lockerrooms.

The build out will need to include the number of stalls, the size of the water heater and other "fluffy" ameneties. I have no clue on forcasting build out cost.

What are you doing for day care? Cleaning services, etc?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Doug
We opened in Oct., renting about 600sq ft in a gymnastics center. There is one bathroom. No lockers. Clients place jackets and bags on the floor by the wall. The enter, make one of 8 sessions, gather their items and leave. No one ever asked about daycare nor lockers or showers.

We are nearing 100 members, and we have outgrown the gymnastics center and we are moving into a brand new bldg in April. The new space will have 2 bathrooms, shower and 'cleaning' room. I wanted 1 shower because I know I can add to the noon hour session if we have a shower.

We are building box shelves in the cleaning room for clients to put jackets, bags, etc.

I don't see the need, in my market and with CF to have daycare, lockers, etc. My clients come, train and go.

You must be planning a larger facility with a far greater membership.

Wow! Wishing you great success!!

Old 03-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Skip,

Tony thought I should talk to you. Basically, we have between 20-30 people in our morning classes and most go to work after, so showering is important.

We are going to be adding more sections and the possibility of running a two classes at the same time. We will also need be able to handle pre-season kids condtioning programs so demand is there. The question is how big a water heater, and how many stalls how showers. I was thinking three for each gender. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here.

We are looking at 4-6k in floor space. I am clueless at figuring space for locker rooms and the like. The day care is a totally different animal. I think co-oping that with a local place would make more sense.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I don't own a gym but I do have a lot of experience with renovations. If I were in you're position I would take a look at http://www.gotankless.com/ with a tankless system you never have to heat water that is'nt being used and your clients will never run out of water. As for the space I would ask a few of your clients how important a large locker room is to them. Personaly I think it's nice to have a bit of personal space. Hope that helps
Old 03-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Doug,
I will email you or communicate via the affiliate back door.