CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
mark twight

Profile:

So what about cardio? And why do people that have only read about Crossfit claim that it can not possibly build a high level of CV endurance?

I had a nice epiphany the other day on a benchmark uphill run I do about 10 times a year, more frequently when it's the season to run. It's short, less than two miles but the elevation gain is 2200 vertical feet. Average time last fall when I was doing it a few times a month was 40 to 41 minutes. I'd seen a PR of 38 two years ago after a season of doing nothing but skiing uphill. Since December I have done only CF (about 3 on/ 1 off though somtimes 5 on/ 1 off) and added one long day at low HR every 7 to 10 days. Based on everything else I experienced last winter, I was not surprised to hit the top in 37:16 nor to note that my AT has bumped up from 171-172 BPM to 175-176 in the last three months. The HR monitor is useful for developing quantitative data, which I use to make the most of my limited training opportunities.

Ok, that's a short effort, what about endurance? I had a good 21-hour day of non-stop movement in the mountains two weeks ago. Many miles, many feet of elevation gain, terrible snow conditions, some tough climbing, a storm, some nocturnal navigation, etc. That should qualify as an endurance day when the skeptics ask. The best part was that I recovered quickly enough to do a 9-hour day in the mountains after less than 24 hours of rest.

And all this from combining a few multi-joint lifting and throwing movements with 400-meter sprints and hard rowing intervals ... who would ever have thought it possible?

Mark T.