CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Hi. This is my first post on this forum, so I'd like to start by thanking crossfit.com for its ingenious workout design and wealth of useful, free fitness information. Thank you!

My question:
I knew I couldn't clean 135 fifteen times in a row, let alone twenty-one, so I broke the sets up into mini-sets of 1-7, pausing just long enough to be able to do another one and continuing until I completed the prescribed number of reps. Did I do the right thing, or should I have cut the weight enough to do straight sets of the prescribed number of reps?

Thanks for the help,

Ross Hunt
Old 01-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
David Werner

Profile:
Welcome Ross

The workout you did was fine.

However, if you study the WODs over a period of time you will notice that each workout in a three workout cycle hits a different metabolic pathway. In very simple terms think of it as: Pure Strength, Strength Endurance and Endurance. For more information see Lynnes FAQ and look up/buy the Crossfit Journal back issue that addresses program design.

What all this means is that within the apparent randomness of the WODs lurks a very deliberate system. It is good to follow the system to the best of your ability, at least until you can see the pattern, and make changes for specific reasons.

Another however, before you can get the real benefits of Coaches fine program design, you must be able to get through the workouts. People often post here wondering "is the Workout of the Day really all I need to do?" You will not ask this question once you understand how to do the WOD.

AS HARD AND FAST AS POSSIBLE. IT SHOULD CRUSH YOU!

The very high intensity is a requirement to get the sought after neuroendocrine response. So the way to work into this is as follows; First, learn the excercises and get in the regular habit of doing the WOD (get through the workouts any way you can). Second, improve your conditioning and skills so that you can complete the WODs fast and hard. Ideally you attack every workout and tear it to pieces - having reached that stage you head for Athens with your world class strength and fitness.

So with all that in mind it would also have been a good idea to lower the weight and complete the Cleans as prescribed, 21-15-9 as fast as possible. But you will vary your aproach according to how you feel that day and which weakness you are trying to exorcise.

Hope this helps

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 01-11-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Thank you. That makes sense.

Ross Hunt
Annapolis, MD
Old 01-12-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
Brandon Price

Profile:  
As an aside, Dave, this is the single best presentation of "How to Start Crossfit" that I have ever seen.