CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
James St. Clair

Profile:
Shoulder Surgery

I have recently discovered Crossfit, and I am ready to hit the ground running. I have a small problem though. I recently had shoulder surgery to repair torn Labrum. I'm 4 months post op. and my range a motion is about 99%. The doc has explained to me that the actual injury has healed, and it's all about regaining strength and motion now. I've been searching through the different workouts, and have come up with an O.K. list. I'm still not satisfied though, i'm timid to do anything overhead, being that is where I am the weakest and still have minor discomfort. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help me make it over this hump, and get back into a solid routine?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Surgery

Start light and work your way up.

I would suggest simple movements like pushups and possibly pullups or rowing first. I'd stay away from kipping pullups for now at least. Then work up to dips, presses, etc.

Make sure your form/technique is spot on. If you have to go somewhere to get coaching or post up a vid in digital coaching go for it.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Surgery

I had my left AC joint "cleaned out" in December. The doc found a suspect labrum once he got in there (just at the limit where it should probably have been re-sewed up, whatever that means?), and after much deliberation, decided not to reattach it, due to the ~6 month recovery time. Something like that.

Either way, my recovery time is...well..still in progress (though I did get my overhead press back up to 155 yesterday, woot!). I would suggest you go VERY slowly and lift light weights. Use DBs instead of barbells whenever possible. Locking yourself in a range of motion is going to increase the pain, trust me. Gradually work yourself up to going overhead. I am still avoiding dips, as they're still painful, but I can do pretty much everything else.

I'd scale any workout with shoulder work to something that you feel OK with. Your recovery should really accelerate if you don't push too hard. Good luck!