CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-05-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Went to the sports doc today due to recurrent (L) shoulder pain. Originally sublaxed it about 15 years ago playing aussie rules footy and have sublaxed it many, many times since. Now get a lot of pain when doing pullups, especially kipping. Doc thinks it could be a SLAP (superior, labrum, anterior, posterior) lesion around the glenoid rim. I think that means a shoulder cartilage tear in english. He said I'm looking at arthroscopic surgery to fix it, by cleaning up the cartilage and tightening everything up. Then a six month rehab period until I'm hanging from a pullup bar again. Seeing the ortho next Thursday 13th. Has anyone had any experience with similar? Or can any of you medically knowledgable types out there offer any advice?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I have treated a couple of SLAP's, and they are a pretty simple rehab after surgery if you have a good therapist. I would do as little with that shoulder as possible, until you have the surgery. Follow the protocols you are given, and don't get in a hurry.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
todd barlow

Profile:  
Last Thursday I had my left shoulder scoped. The surgeon repaired a type II SLAP lesion and a Bankart lesion. The Bankart was an unexpected surprise. He anchored the Labrum to the bone with 2 sutures for each injury. Rehab apparently is going to be a very long process. At least 3 monthes of gentle ROM stuff and then maybe I can begin light strength exercises. I won't be able to do any overhead work or pullups for at least 6 monthes. Unfortunately I have relatively loose (unstable) joints and the surgeon has said that I will need a 2nd surgery in about a year to tighten up the shoulder to prevent a reoccurence. I have always been able to sublax my shoulders at will and over the years the damage has been done. Similarily, my knees flex laterally more than they should which has led to 3 meniscus repairs.

My best advise echoes that of Jerimiah's, leave the shoulder alone until you have it worked. I put off seeing the doctor 4-6 weeks too long and stubbornly refused to slow down. More than likely I did further damage.

Now I have to find some patience and allow the healing to occur. This will be tough. I'm a patrol sergeant who still enjoys rolling around and arresting the turds. Instead of riding my bike and Crossfitting I'll be riding the desk for 12-16 weeks.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
My experience:

Dislocated L shoulder multiple times playing rugby. PT did nothing, so I got it fixed. Labrum tear, Bankhart and Mumford(distal claviculectomy--too much benching).

This was Oct 2004. Followed the rehab protocol and was cleared for Return-to-play in 4-5 months(front row forward, took some time to get sport specific strength back). According to my ortho and PT, this is somewhat faster than "normal," but I worked my *** off, and have a high pain tolerance(nice for getting ROM back).

This was pre-CF. Shoulder now feels better than ever.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Thanks for the replies guys. I've put this off for too long and have kept on hammering the joint, so I think it's now time to grab a dose of patience and take the advice I'm given.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
Adrian Frankling

Profile:
jason
nice to see you on the board. looks like you will be prosecuting in a sling
Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Hey Adrian

I'm guessing your another WAPOL Crossfitter. Where you at? Do you know of any others?

Don't know about prosecuting in a sling mate. I reckon it'll be good for about 6 weeks off work. Some of the boys reckon I could stretch it to 12!!!

Gotta say if we only get the 12.5% Koeblke's offering, 12 weeks looks good. :biggrin: