CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-24-2005, 10:22 PM   #11
Nikki Young

Profile:
How often should people do a fast?

Is fasting pretty much the same deal as having a day where you might eat more carbs than usual so your body doesn't get too used to having the same amount of energy digested every day? Except for the food part, is the basis behind it the same or is there a differen't reason/benefit for fasting?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nikki-
Did you get the Performance Menu back issue I sent to you?
R
Old 09-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
Marc Moffett

Profile:
I have a sort of unusual spin on fasting. I am an avid bowhunter/fisherman--spending days at a time out in the woods, especially in the fall. This is hard sun-up to sun-down hiking, scrambling jumping, running, etc. at about 10,000' elevation. But I've gotten to the point where I no longer carry any food with me, not even gorp or jerky. This means that every day afield is a little 12 hour mini-fast. I don't have any idea if this is supposed to be healthy or not, but I feel great and am never low on energy. And in the evening, I have a big protein rich dinner (hopefully, but all too infrequently, of fresh elk tenderloin).
Old 09-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I envy you marc.

If you ever have any extra meat to 'get rid of' I will take all that you can spare.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #15
Nikki Young

Profile:
Cheers Rob! I got the performance issues you sent me to! Still reading them! :D
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #16
John Phipps

Profile:
I am reading "The Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmekler published by Dragon Door now and it recommends undereating during the day (fasting) and over eating at night (feasting). I have only been at it a few days now but I sort of like it.

Most people seem to never be hungry, almost like they are afraid of hunger. In 21st century America you can get food 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are vending machines, soda machines and fast food restaurants everywhere. The over abundance of food, calories, grains and sugar is not natural. I think feeling hungry sometimes and feeling full at other times is healthier.

I am still reading the book and looking at the website they have so I am still not sure about all what he goes into. I like his idea that the human body is not designed to eat 6 meals a day every 2 or 3 hours apart. That is how you would fatten a calf. Our digestive and accompanying hormonal systems should not be continually in operation. Humans are hunter/gatherers. We are predators not prey. We should not eat like a cow eats.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
Jason Berger

Profile:

I've been sick for awhile now and not really letting myself workout like I wish I could. I decided to try the Warrior Diet and have lost about 5-7lbs... but my bodyfat has gone up. Not good.

The Warrior Diet recommends a HUGE meal every 18-24 hours... this doesn't agree with me. I like intermittent fasting for 24 hours then overeating for 24 hours.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The Warrior diet misses the mark in a few key areas IMO. i think it is a recipe for stripping muscle off! The archives have some good information on how to implement an IF program that will not leave one emaciated.
Robb
Old 09-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #19
Alex McClung

Profile:
I don't experience a normal sense of satiety during feeding. Left unchecked, I will continue eating nearly to revulsion, every meal. My "normal" mode is to always overeat.

I'm now in my 3rd week of IF'ing, running a 24 fast every other or every third day. My sensation of hunger during the day is often extreme and distracting, but diminishes around hour 16. By hour 24 I don't really feel hungry.

At my first meal following each 24 hour fast I now experience a strong sense of satiety well before what I would have previously considered a "full-meal". On eating days I'll eat whenever I'm hungry, usually 4x. These meals throughout the day also satisfy my hunger with less overall food.

This effect may be spurious, may be transient, and may be completely imaginary. But the whole point of this exercise to to experiment with what works for Alex. I'm going to stick to this IF plan for the next 8 weeks - fasting 24h 2-3x/week, and eating what feels right on the other days. At the end of this experiment (week of 11/21/05) I'll measure BF, weight, blood chem, and perform a series of benchmarks and 1rm wods to see what's changed.

The output from this black box will determine the new inputs to the next black box.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #20

Profile:

Have you noticed a change in your energy during the day? During training? Strength / metCon changes?

Definitely post your measurements and everything and let us know how it's working for you.