CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
If folks out there in CF land have not done odd object lifting you should give it a go. Then do some tire smacking with a dog pulling the rope, which was making the tire move all over..yea haw!
Rocks, tires, logs...it's a blast. Oh, and if your log gets a little light just soak it down the night before for a few extra lbs!
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/27554.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/27555.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/27556.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/27557.jpg
Old 07-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?!? , woman!!! You so crazy...and your dog too!!!!

Great work!
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
One thing you want to give a try is a nice heavy, angular stone for working out your hands.

Also, I love the barbed wire on your fence.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Jason Steele

Profile:
You should work up to filling that hollow with concrete...
Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Wow! That sounds heavy! But good idea. I might just get a new log that has a center in it and use that one for firewood.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Great Pix!!

I'm going camping in another week and will use it as a chance to do some odd log/stone lifting. My friends all think I'm nuts, of course.

I second the stone lifting. Milo magazine has some great articles on the subject, FYI.

(Message edited by clay_jones on July 22, 2006)
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Stone lifting is quite useful. Last climbing trip I went on (which, disgustingly, was 2 full weekends ago) we needed firewood, so we grabbed some deadfall, and having left my axe at home, we propped up the tree on some stones, found about a 200lb rock, and I deadlifted it and dropped it repeatedly onto the tree to ''chop'' some logs. Worked great and we had a quality campfire with some new friends as a result.

This was a couple days after a ME deadlift workout so the next day my back and hamstrings were (again) sore as . Oopsie. Trying to fire a slippery .10b layback with my posterior on fire was... interesting.

Which is why I still wish I hadn't forgotten my ax. It was worth it for the campfire conversation (with a guy who'd just freed El Cap, and was headed off to Pakistan in the fall) but that didn't make me any less sore.

I bought some cheap sandbags and pea gravel for farmer's walks and sandbag carries at home; I think I am going to start ending my WODs with those, both for grip endurance and for novelty.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Adam Rooke

Profile:
Freed El Cap? By what route? Bloody good effort...

There is a great place to do this in Britain, St Bees. There are a load of old, cast iron wheels that have rusted with their axels to form a beat up oly lifting bar. Quite a good way of impressing people, imagine super sized bumpers :D
Old 07-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Dude's name was Nick, he had redpointed Freerider (5.12d) while his girlfriend Sandy jugged (and I think also belayed -- may have been shortfixing). Really nice, solid guy. While we were there (the Needles) he redpointed a 5.13b (in fact I happened to look over when he popped off and then a few minutes later, nailed the finish), so I didn't really have any doubts about his El Cap send.

It's been insanely hot lately and I haven't had both days free to go up to the mountains, but that's set to change this weekend. I used to think it was impossible that I'd ever climb 5.12. I'm leading 5.11 sport and I'm hoping that Crossfit, a better diet, and more systematic training will get me to the point where I can lead 5.11 on gear, and maybe in a few years, 5.12 on gear. I'd really like to free Moonlight Buttress, watched a couple guys do that and it was way rad.

Climbing could be considered ''odd object'' lifting -- your body in weird positions ;-)
Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #10
Adam Rooke

Profile:
My body is certainly odd enough to justify that!

It sounds like I am climbing similar grades to you - if I understand these crazy American grades :p. I have my eye on a 5.12b in Spain that looks the , Hopefully I will be able to tick it on a sport trip there in a few weeks time. Thanks Crossfit for getting me in this shape - I have only lost a few pounds but the difference it has made to my climbing...I am now leaner and stronger than a few months ago and am definitely cranking a lot harder than I possible at the start of the year.