CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Squat and Deadlift Check- Day 1 of SS

Just began SS today. First three are squat videos and the last one is a deadlift video. All videos are wfs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qu1Qr7yIgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L_k-UGY_qI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux5vHoyqakA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLtLUe3Trx0

Work sets for the squat was 75lbs and for the deadlift it was 120lbs. Rogue weightlifting shoes are supposed to be here by wednesday, I'm pumped. Slipping while squating due to wearing socks will not be an issue anymore.

Some observations:

Squat- I don't know if my knees are going too far in front of my toes, they seem fine but not sure; would focusing on sitting back more fixe this? I have a little butt wink at the bottom and I forgot to concentrate on hip drive, so that might be one thing I missed. I think my stance may be a tad wide and my feet might be pointed outward too much.

Deadlift- Seems like my shoulders are too far in front of the bar and that I should sit back more. Back angle seems ok but could be flatter.

Last edited by Joe Bernard; 09-21-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Scott Dyck

Profile:
Re: Squat and Deadlift Check- Day 1 of SS

If you're doing SS, you should read the squat chapter again about knee travel. I won't go into it because everyone else who replies will.

Don't get caught up in that little butt-wink too much, just keep squatting and stretch your hammies. Fix it the best you can but don't worry about it at the expense of halting your linear progress because it's not that bad. Others will disagree I'm sure, but that's what I think.

On the deadlift, just set your back tight before you lift. Your back looks loose and relaxed, which won't work when you move up in weight.

What gym is that?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Short of attending one of his certs, or buying his DVD, you should go to his forum on ************.net, http://************.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 and look at the sticky titled "Squat Form Check Compilation".

As to your videos, +1 to what was said above, your knees are traveling forward at the bottom, and you are not setting our back properly for the deadlift. Also, are you doing this in socks?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Knee travel in your squats are definitely an issue. In SS, you'll read that you can use TUBOW (terribly useful block of wood) to fix this. Essentially, you take a block of wood thats tall enough to hit your knee, and you place it about 1" in front of your toes on a leg. Then you squat down without knocking it over. Or, you can walk up to a wall and put your feet 1-2" from the wall and do squats there.

This will help you "sit back" more.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Have you read the book?

+1 to what everyone else said.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Heh, guess I should read the whole squat chapter. I've read the programming part of the book, but am currently halfway through the squat section. I have the DVDs and am in the process of watching them, they are invaluable. I've had a massive amount of hw piling up and didn't want to wait to start SS, so I learning as I'm going. I know, not the best way, but I need to start SS and make some serious gains before I go home on winter break, when I will not have access to a barbell for a month.

@Scott- thanks for the tips, while doing power cleans today I made sure to set my back. The gym is at Villanova, the Davis Center if you know it.

@Gonzalo- Yea I was doing it in socks, but today I did the workout barefoot and it felt much better.

@Bo- I'll do that, thanks.

@Jacob- reading it, slowly but surely.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Joe,

Which other DVD's are you watching? Rip has only put out 1 that I am aware of.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I meant just the one he put out, for some reason I thought each lift had it's own CD...yea it's been a LONG day for me, sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Ok I read the squat chapter and looked at the squat videos over at ************. I think I fixed the knees going forward problem, there may be a little movement at the bottom, but I think it's much better than before. Deadlift looks better too, I locked my back and made sure my shoulders were over the bar. Squat is the first video and deadlift is the second. The third one is power cleans, figured I would include it in this thread instead of making another one. All links are wfs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMCARIzvDs4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExwNhmwFR84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dEZ0zceas
Old 09-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #10
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Joe,

For some reason I cant load the squat video, but your DL is looking pretty good. If you watch very carefully, when you're putting the bar down, you're every so slightly going "around" the knees with the bar. It's not horrible, but still a minor point to work on. You want to see the bar go up, and come straight down, in a straight line.

If I ever get the squat video to work... I'll comment

Also, you're one skinny dude! Are you doing GOMAD with SS, or trying to eat a ton?