CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
John Casey

Profile:
jets or helos?

I'm finishing Navy primary flight training, and tomorrow I have to select what I want to fly. I've narrowed it to jets and helicopters, but I can't decide from there. In a way, I was hoping my grades wouldn't be good enough to consider jets in order to make my decision easier. Not the case, however. What do you think?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Re: jets or helos?

As a former Naval Aviator (Hawkeye NFO, just got out last year), I would vote for jets. You want to be a Tailhooker. That's what Naval Aviation is all about, cats and traps. If you were in the Marine Corps, I would say helos because Marine helos get to do cool stuff. There is a very good chance that you will get to do plane guard duty for 6 months at a time if you are in a helo squadron on a carrier. Hovering for 3 hours at a time can get pretty dull, I think. Also, those guys are always in an alert status on the boat, just in case someone falls overboard. Alerts can be a real pain.

Truth is, the best deal going is being either a Hawkeye or COD pilot. Especially a COD pilot. You don't have to do strike planning on the boat, you don't have to live on the boat for long, you get to be a tailhooker and you get per diem running out your a$$.

As a former Hawkeye guy, I am obvioulsy biased. Perhaps a helo guy can chime in here to give a dissenting opinion?

PM me if you have any questions that you might not want to ask your instructors about the fleet. I've been a flight school student and instructor, so I understand.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
David Gray

Profile:

I used to have such a woody for pointy-nosed aviation, but then I spent some time in the desert with... well, they fly really small, cool helicopters. Eye-watering what they do at the very pointiest end of the spear, although the downside is every one of them has a rack full of Purple Hearts. So pointy-nosed types fell to number two. But the Navy doesn't fly those helos, so go jets, man, go jets.

CODs are good for getting a buttload of multi-engine hours, too. That rating can be handy if the airlines ever perk up again.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
John Casey

Profile:

Unfortunately, during primary there were no jet pilots; so anything I know about that community is based off stereotype and heresay. Most of that stereotype and heresay says that I shouldn't expect to ever meet a girl and have a family if I go jets. It also says that jet pilots are uptight, and it's a cut-throat community. My experience with helo pilots are that they are all super chill and love their community. I fall into the category of laid back, and I like the chill environment. Is that something that will jive in the jet community?

Also, I'm anthro'd out of E-2, C-2. Otherwise, C-2 would be a sweet deal.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Matthew Upright

Profile:

If you cant fly attack dont fly at all.... love for medevac pilots as well...
You are navy so Fixed wing should be the obvious choice, as was stated earlier you should be trying to fly off a carrier, if you were interested in rotary wing why didnt you try marines/army to start with. either way congrats on getting to be a pilot stay safe
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Unfortunately, during primary there were no jet pilots; so anything I know about that community is based off stereotype and heresay. Most of that stereotype and heresay says that I shouldn't expect to ever meet a girl and have a family if I go jets. It also says that jet pilots are uptight, and it's a cut-throat community. My experience with helo pilots are that they are all super chill and love their community. I fall into the category of laid back, and I like the chill environment. Is that something that will jive in the jet community?

Also, I'm anthro'd out of E-2, C-2. Otherwise, C-2 would be a sweet deal.
As far as the "meet a girl" thing, I don't get where you are hearing that. And if you were hell bent on having a family, you should have gone PAO or Intel or something shore based.

Actually, helo guys are gone even more than jet guys because they usually have to go out every time the boat goes out. Jet guys only go where the airwing is. I wouldn't go as far as to say that jet guys are uptight, but you are going to get a$$holes in every community. You are also going to get mostly great people in your squadron.

Agreed that the helo guys are more laid back, but I think that's because they don't have as many quals to get through to become a master of their aircraft as the jet guys. There is an incredibly steep learning curve once you get to the fleet for jet FNG's (form flying, fighter tactics, AIC's, flying on and off the boat, strike planning, etc.) so, yeah, they push pretty hard on new guys. That's because they have to. The firehose doesn't turn off once you get out there, believe me. Getting through the RAG is only one more step before the REAL learning starts. Fleet quals are a pain in the butt, no matter what aircraft you are flying.

Don't get me wrong: The fleet needs good helo guys, and I liked our helo guys. Good bunch. Seemed like it was mostly women, actually. If you like the community, then go for it. You are only in the aircraft a couple of hours a day. The rest of the day, you have to work with these people. But, don't discount jets just because you've heard a few bad things about them. When the Navy sent me to Hawkeyes, I thought my world was over. I wanted jets worse than anything. But, it turned out to be a great deal for me and I never looked back.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Tom Woodside

Profile:

One more thought: I have mentioned that I am a bit biased toward jets as I was a fixed wing guy. But, also consider that the instructors that you are hearing things from are mostly helo and P-3 guys (at least they all were when I was in primary), they have almost zero contact with jet bubbas. So they are mostly going off of stereotypes, as well.

No matter what you do, you'll make the right choice. Now, go study your EP's.

Off soapbox.

Question: Are you still flying the T-34 in primary or have they moved over to the T-6, yet? The T-34 was a horrible airplane.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Kevin Mack

Profile:

Well? What'd you get?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Brian Dolan

Profile:

My answer....

J - E - T - S JETS!!! JETS!!! JETS!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
John Casey

Profile:

In classic hurry-up-and-wait fashion, my selection got pushed back 'til next week because they didn't process my grades in time Tuesday.

On a side note, my uncles response when I asked him what he thought was, "there aren't any sports teams named the helicopters..."