CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Jason Lauer

Profile:
When I do a set of max pullups during a workout I can't do nearly as many pullups after climbing for 2-4 hours. It happens almost every time. Just thought it would be very interesting if someone could shed some scientific light on thie phenomenon.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Is your question, "Why can I do less pull-ups after doing 2-4 of climbing?" If so, I imagine its because you are generally fatigued and/or specifically fatigued in the muscles that are involved with climbing and pull-ups.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Pretty sure he just dropped an "as." Correct? If that's the case, it's neuromuscular recruitment- your pulling muscles are warmed, and primed to do lots of pulling. The fact that climbing often looks more like high-strength, lower fatigue static holds rather than lots of fatiguing motion would lend further credence. Still, I'd think climbing would be fatiguing enough to prevent the effect. Huh. Interesting.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I definitely can do more after climbing. Oddly most of the climbing I do is slight to server overhang and normally it is bouldering (for those who don't know it is short, but harder cimbs). I've thought about it being neuromuscular recruitment though I believe it that my nerves would be pretty well fried. Perhaps it is the nature of bouldering being more like sprinting in the climbing world as opposed to top roping or leading being more like long distance running.