CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Tim Davis

Profile:
How do I clean...

I just received my new barbells from WFW via GarageGymStore. They have some grease and oil on em (protectant I assume) and I wanna clean em off.
I tried finding info on the forums, but everything comes up as the wrong "clean" or "cleaning" that I'm looking for.

Any help?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Lester De Guzman

Profile:
Re: How do I clean...

leave it be, if it bothers your grip get some chalk. I didn't get a bar from pendlay but I did purchase a bar that was in a similar condition. Chalk, it works wonders.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Call or email Glenn.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Chad Skola

Profile:

yeah that is weird. i have the pendlay bar and i did not have a grease problem of any sort. I would for sure call him.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

Tim I had what it sounds like you have when I bought the CF bar from WFW. I thought about calling Glenn but decided to see what I could do myself.

I got most of it off with paper towels in 10 minutes. The rest just sort of went away over the course of about 2 weeks. I assume it "went away" on my hands, shorts, chalk, etc, but it's gone now and the bar's great.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Christian Salas

Profile:

Same here. My economy bar arrived with a thin layer of oil which does protect against rust, dirt in shipping etc for long periods of time. Some hardware I purchase online comes like that as well.

I just wiped off the areas where I grip the bar with a towel, then got to work! It's never been a problem.

I believe I've read some where that you should wipe down your bar with an oil (wd40 etc.) every year or so to protect it and keep rust at bay.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

WD-40 and most oils are dust magnets. You don't want the sludge made form WD-40 and dust to get into the bearings or shims.

I got a free black bar when I bought a used power cage. The bar was rust.

I used Boeshield (invented by Boeing). They have a rust remover that is a dilute acid, and an aerosol protectant that is not oily. People use it on table saw cast iron tables.

The rust cleaned right up. My Hi-temp bumpers had developed a thin layer of rust on the collars. I cleaned them with the BoeShield cleaner, then applied th e protectant. The stuff works great.

I found BoeShield at my local Sears, in the large power tool area. You can order it onlione too. Great product.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

I use the Boeshield aerosol to treat my bars too. But Tim don't use their rust remover if you bought Glenn's black oxide bar. It's acidic and won't get along well with the coating. I think it even says on the bottle that you shouldn't use it on black oxide.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Tim Davis

Profile:

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if there was a "preferred method of removal" or if it was a specific type of grease that required a specific remover.... Towels work great.

WD-40 is a solvent, not an oil, its just not a strong solvent. So it shouldn't have any adverse effects if sprayed on the shaft (not in bearings), right?
I'm gunna look into that Boeshield, thanks.

What about bumpers? I've also found my Kraiburgs have some grease and crap on em. Wiping gets a lot off, but theres always a small, slick layer.