CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Christopher Delgado

Profile:
Re: Hunting Season Is Around The Corner

John,

Do you train dogs or just allow others to use your land? My favorite dogs are English Springers but Ive never trained one of mine to hunt. I think if I buy another one Id like to do so.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Dove season started here on Sep. 1. We've been crushing them. Limits every time we go out. I have too many in the freezer and am going to start giving them away.

Deer and quail seasons are right around the corner. Can't wait.

Hopefully, I will be able to post a pic of me with some amazingly huge white tail, although, I think it will be mostly does and cull bucks for me.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
John Barry

Profile:

I train my dogs and a few friends dogs only. We don't let people we donít know on the land or with out myself or my father. We are really protective of the land and have spent a lot of cash getting it set up as an ideal sportsman paradise.

We have 25 acres of heavy woods and the other 150 are a mix of different food crops and natural grasslands, 2 ponds a big barn and a trailer for overnights.

Just recently I cleared out a range for hand gun and rifle.

But for training I have trained labs in the past and my new love German Short hair pointers. My past 2 dogs have been some of the most amazing bird dogs I have ever worked with.

We have had a bunch of Turkey sightings this summer so I hope to bag one for Thanksgiving.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I'd just like to go on record as saying that I'd be happy to take any unwanted prey. Nobody in my immediate circle hunts, and I *miss* venison, etc.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Anyone know how the hunting is in Vermont? Some relatives just bought a pretty substantial piece of land up there. Not sure what part of the state it is in though.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
Riley Durant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Delgado View Post
Would you eat one of those fish in the lake though?
You mean the giant, all-consuming, hive-mind carp? No way. Those things are frightening. Before we moved north, we'd go down on Saturday evenings and feed them. Started off with a couple boxes of Corn Pops just for the dispersion. Eventually it was a goal to see what was the biggest item one of them could swallow whole. Pop Tarts...no problem. Whole Otis Spunkmeyer muffins...no problem. Couldn't haul anything bigger out of the mess hall. Some of those things are close to 4 feet long.

I should get back in time for late goose in January. Can't wait.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #27
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Those would be the ones. Saw a guy throwing tortillas like frisbees into the water and watching them disappear as soon as they touched the surface. Those fish are scary. And its really spooky they way they come swarming up to the bridge when you walk over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Durant View Post
You mean the giant, all-consuming, hive-mind carp? No way. Those things are frightening. Before we moved north, we'd go down on Saturday evenings and feed them. Started off with a couple boxes of Corn Pops just for the dispersion. Eventually it was a goal to see what was the biggest item one of them could swallow whole. Pop Tarts...no problem. Whole Otis Spunkmeyer muffins...no problem. Couldn't haul anything bigger out of the mess hall. Some of those things are close to 4 feet long.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #28
Emily Davis

Profile:

anyone deer hunt on here?

My father in law just bought a 47 acre farm in Tennessee and the place is covered with deer....so lean venison for me all winter

I live on a boat and last duck season some duck hunters were so close to my dock I wanted to scream. The chief of the marine police now lives one dock over from me so hopefully that will cut down on that mess.

We fish a lot more than anything. We have a small fishing boat tied up in front of our big boat that we take out a lot. Actually got into bow fishing a little this past spring/summer....anything to take out the stupid carp and gar. The crappie love to move into our marina when it gets cold and those are some of the best fresh water fish you can eat!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #29
John Barry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Davis View Post
anyone deer hunt on here?

My father in law just bought a 47 acre farm in Tennessee and the place is covered with deer....so lean venison for me all winter

I live on a boat and last duck season some duck hunters were so close to my dock I wanted to scream. The chief of the marine police now lives one dock over from me so hopefully that will cut down on that mess.

We fish a lot more than anything. We have a small fishing boat tied up in front of our big boat that we take out a lot. Actually got into bow fishing a little this past spring/summer....anything to take out the stupid carp and gar. The crappie love to move into our marina when it gets cold and those are some of the best fresh water fish you can eat!
Love deer hunting but hate field dressing them so I have not shot at one in 2 years.

Unrelated living on a boat do you have The Lonely Island's "I am on a boat" in your head all day long? I know I would.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #30
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Durant View Post
You mean the giant, all-consuming, hive-mind carp? No way. Those things are frightening.
A hot grill takes all the fight/fright out of them:

Grilled carp

Material:
* 1 carp (8 ounces)
* 8 spring onions
* 2 cloves garlic
* 4 pieces of red chilli
* 1 tablespoon pepper
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 orange juice

How to make:
1. crushed spices, then mix with soy sauce and butter.
2. Clean the fish, put streaks on the body.
3. Grilled fish with the occasional spice butter until cooked fish brownish yellow.
4. after mature bari lemon lime