CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Jerred Moon

Profile:
Re: DIY CrossFit Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee Alexander View Post
Jered,

I like the rings, however, how different are they than actual round rings? My hands are quite large and I am worried that my grip might not fit in your PVC rings comfortably. Rogue rings are barely large enough for me to get a quality grip. Let me know because I would like to try to build and use them if they are close to wood ring size.
Hmm I have used rouge rings at some affiliates, but can't remember how they gripped. Sending you a PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
Although most of this stuff is awesome (definitely going to use the plyo box dimensions), the rings seem pretty unnecessary. You can find basic rings at many big box fitness retailers for 40-60$ (at least in Canada). Is saving 20$ worth it?
For me it is more of a hobby. This is the second pair I have built. The first pair I built was when I was in college and had $0 for crossfit equipment. My first pair I cut a few corners but spent about $10. I still have them too!! However, I built these because I wanted a sturdy pair at a low cost that I feel comfortable sharing with people.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerred Moon View Post
For me it is more of a hobby. This is the second pair I have built. The first pair I built was when I was in college and had $0 for crossfit equipment. My first pair I cut a few corners but spent about $10. I still have them too!! However, I built these because I wanted a sturdy pair at a low cost that I feel comfortable sharing with people.
Fair enough. Thank you for sharing this with us. It's awesome to have price options when getting equipment.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Hey Jerred what could you recommend for putting on the edges of the plyo boxes to help prevent shin scrapes? My wife HATES when I have the kids do box jumps even though they have right height and distance for it. She has cleaned to many kids up at the direct care who have scraped their whole shins...

Thinking of sort of rubber guard that wouldn't create to big of a 'lip'.

That or perhaps a taped down version?

ATM I'm using supported 'plastic' bins with round edges for the kiddos to prevent 'scrapes'. If only she would have let me bring my tractor tires to this new house, it wouldn't be an issue..
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Hey Jerred what could you recommend for putting on the edges of the plyo boxes to help prevent shin scrapes? My wife HATES when I have the kids do box jumps even though they have right height and distance for it. She has cleaned to many kids up at the direct care who have scraped their whole shins...

Thinking of sort of rubber guard that wouldn't create to big of a 'lip'.

That or perhaps a taped down version?

ATM I'm using supported 'plastic' bins with round edges for the kiddos to prevent 'scrapes'. If only she would have let me bring my tractor tires to this new house, it wouldn't be an issue..
Haha the tractor tire would fix the problem. I would probably use an old tire innertube. Double it over and nail, screw, or glue it down. It's smooth rubber so it should prevent scrapes and its thin enough to not create a significant lip.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Has anyone made a Bulgarian sandbag recently? If so, would you suggest adding handles to the bag....? I plan to make one this weekend and was thinking about putting some nylon handles.
Already spent my whole $5.28 on supplies....lol
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Has anyone made a Bulgarian sandbag recently? If so, would you suggest adding handles to the bag....? I plan to make one this weekend and was thinking about putting some nylon handles.
I was actually thinking of doing a write up on one of those soon.

I have made one before. I did not put handles on mine I only duct taped the ends. Handles may help though. Will you be doing a lot of Bulgarian bag training or just something to use on occasion?

Without the handles mine was fine with how often I used it, which was only on occasion.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerred Moon View Post
I was actually thinking of doing a write up on one of those soon.

I have made one before. I did not put handles on mine I only duct taped the ends. Handles may help though. Will you be doing a lot of Bulgarian bag training or just something to use on occasion?

Without the handles mine was fine with how often I used it, which was only on occasion.
Thanks, Jerred. I have been reading up on training with the bags and looked at some of the authentic ones. All had handles....I plan on incorporating the bag(s) in, at least, two WODs per week.

I'll post some pics this weekend after I decide to add handles or not.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

I just wanted to posted some of my DIY equipment. I've found some excellent idea sources from threads like this one.
I'm still finishing up my garage gym. I have to find the pix of my slosh pipe, KB and 45# sandbag....

BTW. At Jerred : I added the handles to my Bulgarian sandbag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulgarian sandbag1.JPG
Views:	923
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	8539  Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemademedballs.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	8540  Click image for larger version

Name:	Parallettes.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	8541  Click image for larger version

Name:	Farmer's walk bars.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	8542  
Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Nathan Jansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Hi Michael,

I make bulgarian bags for boxes and individual CFers. I've made and sold just over 200 now and have a nice pile of about 20 bags myself (20-160lbs a piece). It been a year of 400+ individual lessons on making non-sand-leaking and dependable handles. A box recently prescribed a partner wod that featured 400 sandbag slams per team...for 8 or so classes that day. And after more than 3,000 slams per bag...not a grain of sand spilled!
Anyways, I'm clearly a fan of this training method and would be happy to give you some pointers or answer questions on making better handles. I've attached a up-close of handles on bags in production and another of finished bags waiting to dish out some lovepain at a local competition. Many more pictures available if anyone is interested.

Pictures are w/f/s.

best, nj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OUTI bag handles-CFMB.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	8544  Click image for larger version

Name:	sand bag role call.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	8546