CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Re: Looking for bar for Olympic lifts

Not to hijack the thread.....but if the original question has been answered I've got one myself on the same topic...

I'm looking at Pendlay HD bushing vs. Pendlay Needle Bearing in the near future.

Price IS definitely a factor....but I also don't want to be looking for the next step up a year from now.
I've been working the oly lifts since last August, and my lifts have come a long way in a short time. 95kg (210#) snatch, 130kg (285#) clean.
Obviously at higher weights you'll need a better bar with some more whip, better spin, etc....at what point should I be thinking about moving up to the needle bearing.
Primary focus is CF, but I've really fallen in love with the oly lifts and will probably compete in them at some point.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Not to hijack the thread.....but if the original question has been answered I've got one myself on the same topic...

I'm looking at Pendlay HD bushing vs. Pendlay Needle Bearing in the near future.

Price IS definitely a factor....but I also don't want to be looking for the next step up a year from now.
I've been working the oly lifts since last August, and my lifts have come a long way in a short time. 95kg (210#) snatch, 130kg (285#) clean.
Obviously at higher weights you'll need a better bar with some more whip, better spin, etc....at what point should I be thinking about moving up to the needle bearing.
Primary focus is CF, but I've really fallen in love with the oly lifts and will probably compete in them at some point.
What are you using now?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
What are you using now?
York training bar at my affiliate.
I bought a Rogue Bar in August but haven't used it since I moved into an affiliate in September. I know its a better bar, but the knurling on it just rips my hands up and then I end up having to let them heal before touching a barball, pullup bar, etc.
I've spoken to Bill Henniger and explained my situation that my bar spends all of its time in the rack. He was totally awesome and is allowing me to return the bar for a credit toward a different one.
I like the knurling on the pendlay bars, so I'm thinking this is the way to go....and while I don't have extra money around for the bearing bar, I want to make sure that I weigh my options and make a decision I'll be happy with down the line...
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Zach S

Profile:

Like i said before, if you are on a budget you cant get a better deal then the Pendlay Nexgen. Also if Werksan and other high quality bars use needle bearings then its probably smart to get the bearing bar.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Are you considering lifting competitively? If so, I'd think long about trying to get an eleiko, unless you have regular access to one already.

I frankly hate eleiko bars. The knurling is too harsh and they spin so freely it changes the feel of the lift to me. Left to my own preferences I'll grab the Pendlay bar, which I prefer.

But I'm now making it a point to lift every session I can with an eleiko because it's the only way to get over my hatred for it and I know that the competitions I go to I'm likely to find an eleiko on the platform.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany Huynh View Post
So I should be looking at bearing bars not bushing correct?
Not necessarily. Bearings spin faster, but well-made bushings (google self-lubricating or sintered) will do quite well for your uses. Bearings are also more easily damaged in a drop. Both are fairly low-to-no maintenance for the average individual lifter.

There's a lot of attention given to the roller system, but honestly that's secondary to the bar itself. Diameter will probably be important for you, depending on hand size. Ignore anything in the literature on a bar regarding load ratings. Focus on yield and tensile strength rating numbers. The price goes up as those numbers do, but if you get a bar that both over 100K then it will last you for years if not decades.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Not necessarily. Bearings spin faster, but well-made bushings (google self-lubricating or sintered) will do quite well for your uses. Bearings are also more easily damaged in a drop. Both are fairly low-to-no maintenance for the average individual lifter.

There's a lot of attention given to the roller system, but honestly that's secondary to the bar itself. Diameter will probably be important for you, depending on hand size. Ignore anything in the literature on a bar regarding load ratings. Focus on yield and tensile strength rating numbers. The price goes up as those numbers do, but if you get a bar that both over 100K then it will last you for years if not decades.
My experience has proven differently (over 10 yrs Oly lifting). If you want an Oly bar exclusive for Oly lifts, then get a bearing bar, preferaby one with 4-5 bearings per sleeve. I have lifted on several bearing bars and all of them have lasted much longer than 7-10 yrs. The Eleiko's I've lifted on are over 20 yrs old and spin like new. The Chapman bar I have lifted on is right at 10 yrs old, had 160-180 kg clean and jerked (and yes dropped from overhead) multiple times with no problems.

I would easily take a bearing bar for the Oly lifts over a bushing bar, no matter what weight I was lifting.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I'm not sure I understand what it is that you disagree with.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
Tiffany Huynh

Profile:

i am not planning on lifting competitively i just want to be able to execute the oly lifts properly without my bar holding me back.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

I think the importance of grip (thickness and knurling) comfort far exceeds the importance of the bearings/ yield strength/ fancy name brand if you're lifting less than 300lbs.

That being said- the affiliate I go to has a bunch of the Rogue economy bars, and I just plain hate them- they are loud and clunky. So you definitely don't want a super cheap bar.

I think the bumpers you use will also shorten/ extend the life of the bar (as will the lifting platform).