CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Joshua Wilson

Profile:
Re: The Kettlebell King Issue

Greetings from The Kettlebell King,

First of all I want to mention that this is not Joshua Wilson this is Bert Thornton Owner/Operator/Kettlebell Packer/Order Fulfiller/Sales Manager/Janitor, and about any other hat a business owner can wear, I had to find someone nearby my store that posts on the boards and that would agree to allow me to make a post under their name.

I'm just now catching this stream of posts and it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I want to start this message with I'm not big on excuses (PERIOD). The facts are that we are experiencing extreme growth (Which is a good thing, and I appreciate the business). However, there are several extreme cases that are working against my ability to get everyone taken care of a quickly as everyone has become accustomed to.

1. The manufacture did move there warehouse last month and it shut down ship out for a week.

2. The manufacture has also experienced rapid growth and have without warning ran out of certain items causing unforeseen backorders. Of which I'm drop shipping and eating the costs in a lot of circumstances to make due.

3. Had the birth of my First child on 10/7/2010 (Good News hopefully some of you can understand).

3. My wife suffered a severe gall bladder attack last Friday which put us back in the hospital and me on more of a full time parent mode.

4. To add insult to injury she found a growth on her left breast yesterday and is having a rush mammogram performed tomorrow to make sure itís not cancer.

I understand how a good business works and have built my business on these principles of customer service and good communication. I'm dedicated to quality products at the best prices on the internet, with quick turnaround. If I'm not getting you back right away on email please call my cell phone as I might not be at the store

417-894-8189

Please have some patience and donít put me out here on the boards to be MASACRED on every little detail that may have gone wrong over the last 3.5-4 weeks because I can assure you itís not the norm, and itís not going to be the case going forward.

Like I said I'm not big on excuses, because 99% of the time they are avoidable or bull ****, but you have to cut me a little slack and bear with me as I have got some big fish to fry and financially will not be able to pay the upcoming medical bills if my business takes a hit from posts like this. Iím not looking for sympathy/empathy just some patience and understanding, and if you canít afford me that at this point Iím sincerely sorry.

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter.

Very Respectfully,

Bert J. Thornton
Owner/Sales Manager
www.TheKettlebellKing.com (WFS)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
Ben Sparks

Profile:

Hey Bert - bravo for taking the time, congrats on the babe, and best wishes for your wife.

Seriously important things going on in anyone's life should elicit patient responses from people waiting for their toys.

I was on a plane today and a woman had a stroke. The attendants asked for a doc or an RN (got one) and the pilots zigged and then zagged... and then decided full military power to our original destination would put her in the care of both professionals and her loved ones faster than anything else.

Were the other 100+ of us inconvenienced? Of course. Was our inconvenience important compared to real life issues? Of course NOT.

Again - congrats on the birth and fingers crossed for you & your wife.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
Tim Squires

Profile:

Bert-
I appreciate you coming here and being open with what's going on with the Company. I fully understand that "Life" happens and some things occur that are out of our hands.

With that being said, not once in my previous two posts did I put your company down or intend to have your Company Massacred. I simply came here wondering if others have experienced similar issues and if they knew what was going on. Having placed a $500+ order with a Company I've never dealt with and then having to wonder why my order hadn't shipped/emails going unanswered, made me a bit uneasy (especially with the horror stories that I've read about with other internet companies).

However, from the previous reviews that I've read of your Company, as well as the postive posts in this thread, I'm confident I will receive my order.

One question...
As I mentioned earlier, I've sent you several emails regarding the status of my order. Yesterday, my wife called and spoke with a gentlemen who told her that our order had shipped, however we received no shipment tracking email. You mentioned in your post that some items have gone on backorder...I'm curious as to if that would include items that I ordered. When given the opportunity, would you be able to look into that order and see if all items shipped/send out the tracking info?

Congrats on the new born and hopefully everything with your wife will turn out fine.

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wilson View Post
Greetings from The Kettlebell King,

First of all I want to mention that this is not Joshua Wilson this is Bert Thornton Owner/Operator/Kettlebell Packer/Order Fulfiller/Sales Manager/Janitor, and about any other hat a business owner can wear, I had to find someone nearby my store that posts on the boards and that would agree to allow me to make a post under their name.
Someone who also almost exclusively made posts about you. Hmm

Best of luck with the new baby and hope all goes well with your wife.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Brooks Laughlin

Profile:

I have had some serious issues with the two orders I placed at Kettlebell King. The main issue is that the owner will not communicate with me at all. He sent no emails past the automated one, no shipping notifications, and he has still yet to respond to several emails I have sent him.

A friend placed one order with products for both of us. That was 27 days ago and Bert has yet to respond to a single email or send any sort of backorder notice. Several emails have been sent We are still waiting for several hundred dollars worth of product.

I placed a second order on 10/25 for $350 worth of plates. I sent several emails to Bert trying to get a shipment ETA and to confirm nothing was backordered (due to the first order). Bert never once has responded to an email or sent me any sort of shipment confirmation.

Luckily the second order arrived yesterday. The product was packaged well and was in great condition. The shipment time, price, and quality was all great on this order. That unfortunately does not excuse not responding to a customer who has spend over $700 at his store.

I think everyone who has posted in this thread and the other are reasonable people, who understand that backorders happen, and family emergencies occur. But as a business owner he must communicate these issues with his customers. If it wasn't for a friend who posts here, I would have never known there were any extenuating circumstance regarding this business. I would have simply thought I was victim to a scam of business. If Bert has the time to respond here and post on Facebook, he can certainly respond to our emails.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Tim Squires

Profile:

Today I received my order...(in a sense)....and thought I'd post an update. I've emailed Bert, however, thought I'd post here as email responses with him have been shotty.

I ordered the Crossfit kettlebell set, Troy Barbell, and 190lb Troy Economy set. I specifically ordered the 190lb economy set as I wanted something with a simple black design and contained pairs of 45s, 25's, 15s and 10s. I hate to say it, but I'm the kind of guy who is anal about his equipment and needs everything to match (some may have seen my recent GHD review where I spray painted it right after purchasing it new). Back to the matter at hand...

For starters, I recieved no bar in my order. I was somewhat forewarned by this as Bert emailed me on Wednesday and said some shipments have been leaving without a barbell. I assumed this happened with my order as today I received shipment notification from UPS for a 45lb package from the KB King. Disappointed, but pleased with Bert's proactive action.

The biggest issue with my order came with the economy set. As I mentioned above, I specifically chose this set for my needs (obv price as well). However, the shipment came with two 45s, SIX 15's and two green VTX 10's.

I just went back to the KBKing website and the set description NOW says that the 10lb economy plates are being subbed for the green VTX due to backorders. When I placed my order, there was no such statement, nor did I recieve notification that this sub was taking place on my order. Had I known, I would have ordered a different set and/or cancelled my order. In addition, as I said, I specifically need 25lb plates.

I fully understand that I recieved 200lbs in plates vs. the 190lbs I paid for, however I ordered what I needed. I hope that Bert will soon respond to my email or otherwise see this post and respond here. I look forward to seeing how this situation will be remedied.

P.S....the Kettlebells came as adverstised in which I'm pleased.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #17
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Bert, I can definitely empathize with your situation, and congrats on the baby. I'm sorry to hear about your wifes difficulties and hope things turn out ok.

However, you still haven't answered any of my emails yet you have found the time to find this thread and post. You're referencing our posts as getting "MASACRED," but they are all statements of facts, are they not? I would have shared my experience with the board positive or negative.

I still have not received the kettlebells and plates I ordered on October 8th and until you posted here I was left to assume the worst. 2 more days and it will be a month since I placed the order.

Like I said I can empathize with what you got going on and had you reached out to me as your customer and said, "dude things are going to be a little backlogged because..." (the many reasons you posted above) I would have said thank you and continued to wait patiently without question of your dedication to me as a customer.

Last edited by Kevin Bean : 11-06-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
Kevin Bean

Profile:

The saga continues....

The one month anniversary of my order came and went and still no plates or kettlebells, yet KBK was kind enough to post a facebook update notifying fans of their new and upcoming kettlebell and prowler line, yet still no response to my emails.

Today I did get an email from Bert of KBK. It stated that he had received an email from the shipping company of my remaining products. It stated that they had been attempting to get a hold of me "at the number you provided me of my correct phone number.......

The email from the shipping company states, "Phone number listed for him wrong phone number (I've never been associated with) is disconnected. We've been leaving messages since last Friday trying to get a good # and have not received any calls back"

...no response while leaving messages for KBK, sound familiar?

I called the shipping company directly and they stated they could deliver my product on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday. I asked for Thursday since there would be someone here to accept the delivery but was advised that it would cost a fee since the stuff has been on their lot so long. Left on the porch it is.

Last edited by Kevin Bean : 11-11-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
Tim Squires

Profile:

Received my missing bar yesterday and I'm pleased with it, though I'm still waiting on a fix for the incorrect plates that I received. Assuming I get that taken care of, my order will finally be complete and I'll be happy.

Kevin...from our experience with the shipping company (r&l trucking?), they DEFINETLY seemed like it was run by a bunch of idiots who were very rude.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Kent Limson

Profile:

I recently placed and order (last week) with Kettlebell King for 390lbs of Troy VTX colored bumpers after reading other posts along with the crossfit set of kettle bells. I had issues with getting the appropriate discounts to apply to my shopping cart on the online store, so I call and spoke to Bert directly, who was very helpful and took my order over the phone. He did say though that it was currently taking up to 10 business days for Troy to process and ship orders as they are having unprecedented order volume. As it approaches the 10 business day mark I am waiting with baited breath for an e-mail with a tracking number so I can watch that like a hawk. I"ll post on the progress of my order but so far I've called Bert twice and he has been very responsive. He even gave me his cell number to call if I have any questions. But at this point I think is kind of out of his hands as my order needs to be fulfilled by Troy and shipped to me from their warehouse in NJ.