CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Josh Henkin

Profile:
Re: ROGUE Tactical Sandbag Review

Bill,
The military doesn't make such an item, so I have no idea why you keep referring to military specs. In fact, we have sold to many military groups our UNIQUE design and so what you are saying is complete nonsense.

Josh Henkin
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
William Henniger

Profile:

I have emailed you with my cell phone number as I am certain this can be handled off line.

The military does have specs on the material, stitching and many others for tactical gear. Since the manufacturer builds tactical gear that is worn all over the world, we built them to those specs.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #13

Profile:

Henkin's bags are legit - they're the only ones we endorse and sell.

I can understand competition in the market - But such a direct and precise copy of an existing product is disappointing.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Chris Caruso

Profile:

You guys should be ashamed to be having a 'my bag is more veteran/military-approved than your bag' slapfight on this day of all days. I'll be sure to make my own sandbag when I want one.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Quote:
You guys should be ashamed to be having a 'my bag is more veteran/military-approved than your bag' slapfight on this day of all days. I'll be sure to make my own sandbag when I want one.
What a ridiculous comment.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Matt Payne

Profile:

What , products cannot be copied? A sand bag is copyright? Kettlebells and bumpers also copyright? Come on. Bill did a sandbag version of his own. So what? Free market. I am sure nobody here "invented" the sandbag. Jeez... Rogue respond to the markey and improves on equipment all the time. All good. Just my opinion....
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
What , products cannot be copied?
Seriously, I would love to see reps from York, Eleiko, Werksan, and Muscledriver argue about who is copying whom.

This thread definitely brings the laughs, though.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
Andrew Makely

Profile:

All I know is that copyright issues are for real and that if they are broken, its bad juju. I don't know who is right or wrong but when peoples livelihood is on the line, I am sure they take it quite serious. So when people say this is a laughable argument, think again.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #19

Profile:

One last post, because the issue seems to be getting lost within a few posters' confusion....

Making a similar product that competes with an existing product is completely legit. Of course - that's free market capitalism, and that, at least in theory, is what ultimately drives continuing improvements in product offerings. But the development of such a product should involve some kind of variation and, presumably, improvement - not simple duplication.

It's not a copy of "the sandbag" in some general sense - it's a copy of a very specific and unique design, created by Josh Henkin, of a sandbag and associated filler bags. These are extremely different things, and if you can't understand the distinction, this particular issue is beyond your reach. Objection to this idea is no different to me than saying one can reprint and sell a book because no one owns the rights to "the book" - it's not the book that matters, it's the content. Similarly, it's not "the bag" - it's the unique design of that bag.

York, Eleiko and Werksan bars and bumpers are considerably different from each other, in fact; as are different brands of KBs, etc. The differences between these products are quite clear to the athletes who actually use them; I've never encountered a weightlifter, for example, who couldn't see and feel a difference among barbells, and who didn't have a preference for one over others. These companies make their own products that serve the same need, which means they will have to be similar in many respects; but they don't take their competitors' products to a manufacturer and ask that they be duplicated.

From what I can see, the rogue bags are identical, or close enough, having no legitimate or purposeful deviation from Henkin's design. I would like to think that's not the case, and if it isn't, my apologies to bill/rogue... but the photos here suggest otherwise.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #20
Matt Payne

Profile:

O.K. I understand. Does Josh then hold a copyright on the specifics of design because that would be the critical distinction here. There is a process to protect oneself by doing this... Just curious. Interesting topic though at any rate.