CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #11
Marc Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Bumper Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
2) The thing that concerns me about Wrights bumper plates is that I read that the brass insert on the smaller plates sticks out further than the width of the plate which when placed on a bar with larger plates prevents the plates from sitting flush on a bar.
I have a set of Wright's plates (including the 10lbs) and have had zero issues over the last six months. The brass does NOT stick out on the 10lb plates, nor are they "wobbly". I wouldn't lean them against a wall with a 25lb on top of them, but then that's a no-brainer.

Great plates. I don't know about the other brands, but my personal experience will lead me to use Wright's when we outfit our affiliate in May.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dale View Post
Well, I can help with your confusion regarding Glenn Pendlay #1.
Pendlay does offer 10lb. bumper plates, as I have a set of 10's,25's,35's & 45's on order.
I don't see 10 lbs. bumper plates on the Pendlay bumper page. If you look at his training set he includes iron plates for weights less thant 25 lbs or 10 kg.

I agree Pendlay is #1. I love the basic set I ordered. Although, I have no experience with other manufacturers the stuff I got is high quality. When I need more bumpers I'll be ordering them from Glenn.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Glenn sells some 10-lb bumpers. I believe they ARE Jason's 10-lb bumpers. His 25, 35, 45lb bumpers are different from his 10's. ALSO, his hi-temp 10-lb bumpers are solid, they WILL hold up to abuse, but they are just that, solid (aka they don't bend). If you drop a fully loaded bar with 2 45's, 2 35's, and 2 hi-temp 10's, I don't know if it'd be too much different from dropping a bar with all iron plates except the hi-temp 10's (aka the hi-temp 10's would absorb all the impact). Though they're tough as nails, and they may be able to take even that kind of abuse.

As for me, I found that except for his 10's being different size (slightly later) from the 25's, 35's, and 45's that I got from him, I love them. Plus, they're sturdy as all heck for 10 lb bumpers. I have no qualms about dropping a 45 lb bar from overhead with just one pair of 10-lb bumpers. I've loaded up 6 of his 10's and dumped it from overhead, and aside from a more *thud* like bounce than the larger thickness plates (25's, 35's, 45's), they hold up fine. I've not had to drop the 10's with any iron plates (besides one five on each side), so I don't know how well they'll hold up to a 10 lb bumper plus lots of iron, but at $15 per 10 lb plate, why not just buy three pairs or so?

Last edited by Matt DeMinico : 03-24-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

I have 10s and 25s from wright and don't have any issue with the brass insert size either. The 10s are not designed to be loaded with weight and dropped from over head, they are training plates. Having said that, they are pretty durable. At our affiliate, we had a guy set on the bar that only had 10s on it and they bent, but they return back to shape if you lay them flat on the ground and out weight on them.

Using equipment for its desired use keeps stuff from happening. They work great wehn you stack them up because they reinforce each other.

In the end, you should but from the guy you feel comfortable with. I hve had no interaction with Mr. Pendlay, but the feedback he has on here is great. Jason Hughes at wright rubber was great to work with.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
George Mounce

Profile:

I can't wait for that IRS refund check - going straight to gym equipment like a Pendlay bar!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #16
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I can't wait for that IRS refund check - going straight to gym equipment like a Pendlay bar!
Yes, same here. Check out www.irs.gov w/f s it will tell you exactly when to expect your money and how much based on your taxes and the last two digits of your social.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Carlos, Yes I believe your right those were Hi-Tech plates that I was referring to and not Hi-Temp. So hard to keep all these brands straight I too am waiting for my tax refund so I can buy gym equipment. I struck a deal with the wife to spend half on my garage gym!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ericson View Post
Carlos, Yes I believe your right those were Hi-Tech plates that I was referring to and not Hi-Temp. So hard to keep all these brands straight I too am waiting for my tax refund so I can buy gym equipment. I struck a deal with the wife to spend half on my garage gym!
That sounds like a pretty good deal. Im afraid to ask what your side of the deal entails, but whatever it is I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it. Im gonna order my 140kg High Temp bumper set from Pendlay this week. I'm having great success, as far as getting the support of my better half, by only spending a couple hundred dollars a month. Sometimes I get the stink eye when I get a little above that, like when I drove 8 hours to El Paso to pick up a used Concept II C, for $400.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
Dave Taylor

Profile:

Your getting all kinds of stuff know, i cant wait till i get back from training and get a change to knock out a couple of workouts at hood
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
That sounds like a pretty good deal. Im afraid to ask what your side of the deal entails, but whatever it is I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it. Im gonna order my 140kg High Temp bumper set from Pendlay this week. I'm having great success, as far as getting the support of my better half, by only spending a couple hundred dollars a month. Sometimes I get the stink eye when I get a little above that, like when I drove 8 hours to El Paso to pick up a used Concept II C, for $400.
Ya, you don't want to know... or is it I am to embarrassed to sayI only get a monthly allowance of 75 dollars though, so I'd say you have the better deal over the long run.

I am trying to decide whether to spend my refund check on sorinex or ironmind squat stands as I am writing this.

Last edited by Steve Ericson : 03-30-2008 at 10:19 PM.