CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #21
James Besenyei

Profile:
Bill,

Sounds like a great idea, if you have a workout date in mind in the future let me know, your garage sounds kick a*%!!!

--Jim.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #22
Bill Russell

Profile:
Thanks James. Right now most of the stuff is in my basement gym. I'll move it all up next month and we'll all get together.

I teach Hapkido in Fairview and have a fellow Cfer in our group. You are welcome to check it out anytime.

I'll be out of touch for the next two weeks, then back in full swing. We'll pull a Cleveland workout together asap.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My apartment balcony gym, the one I trained in for the 2nd Tactical Strength Challenge, consisted of:

My dad's old Everlast leather jump rope
My old Weider 300# Olympic barbell/plate set
35, 53, 70# KB
Doorway-mounted pullup bar
Weight belt (for weighted pullups)

That was about it in terms of major equipment. My workouts were very CF-like, as in a set of KB snatches, followed by 1' jump rope, followed by a set of pistols, followed by 1' jump rope, etc. It was around the time I was able to start "catching my breath" during the JR rounds that I fully realized what kind of fitness these types of workouts could produce. Those workouts set the foundation for my excitement upon discovering CF.

Now my entire two-car garage is a gym, with rings, AF bar, OL set, DBs, pairs of KBs, hyperextension/roman chair bench, fixed-gear bike, and other things. I love my gym--I think my car hates it though.:bleh0000:
Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #24
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
,I am new to Crossfit and I have to admit my home gym is progressing faster than I am. I have a large area in the down stairs of my barn. It has 10" ceiling with exposed floor joists from the upper floor.
I got the cheapo 300" oly wgt. set. I built a squat rack from two floor to ceiling 4x4"s. I bored two holes in them about 8 ft. up and slid a pipe across them for a p/u bar.
Dip station mounted to the wall 2x4's
Paralettes and Plyo box (box doubles as GHD)
30 and 35# DB's jump rope and med ball,old back pack for wght dips etc
I made a set of plywood rings. I only wish that while I had all the "stuff" out to make them I made two more sets. I could leave one set for pullup,dips and push ups all the time.
I still have a Bowflex' which I use for rowing.
I noticed my ext. ladder hanging from the ceiling the other day. I plan to suspend it fully extended so I' ll have some monkey bars to play with.(prep.)
The next thing on the wish list is a climbing rope..lots of oak trees in the yard.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #25
Eric Cohen

Profile:
I only bought my first set of equipment 3 months ago.

Started off with a used 300# Oly-set, $69
Bought 2 20# DBs and a jump rope at a garage sale for $5
Got a 80# heavy bag (haven't found a way to rearrange the foam inside it still it's pretty compacted), and horse stall mats for a back adjustment (stepfather's a chiropractor), free.
found a huge monster truck tire on the side of the road while walking my dog one day and rolled that home, free.
Made a 20' rope from 100'x1/2" nylon from home depot, $20.
Bought a 1 pood KB for $60
Pull-up bars = horse stall/arena gates, free
Gonna make a medicine ball from one of my little sisters old basketballs (parents are hesitant to give it to me, the kids don't play anymore and they're not getting used that way.), about $20 for other materials.
6' PVC for lift practice, $2
Rings from ringtraining.com, $65

Next thing I'm gonna make is some paralettes, a squat rack (please share how you made them Dennis, it sounds affordable), and I want to get an x-vest
Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #26
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
My garage gym started with an Eleiko training barbell set, a lifting platform and a squat rack. That was all I had and used for several years.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #27
David Plakos

Profile:
don't let eugene see this thread -- he'd write a whole novel. :bowdown:

i got the proverbial 300-lb weight set from academy two christmases ago (thanks honey!) and i built a robust pullup bar that didn't even flinched when both my bro-in-law and i hung from it. so when i can start to do pullups + 80% bw, i'll look for another solution.

next purchase will be some bumpers, either 10 or 25 lbers.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #28
James Besenyei

Profile:
David, check out this thread (w/f safe) on the forums:http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/37449.html
I'm not sure if you knew about it, but the prices on these bumpers are unbelievable, I'm ordering some as soon as I finish typing this post.

(Message edited by jbes on March 02, 2007)
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #29
David Chow

Profile:
John M,

I started the Crossfit program at the beginning of December and thus far I've added the following to my bare bones garage gym:

4 homemade med balls weighing in at 25lbs and 20lbs. $30 for all 4
5 sandbags the lightest weighing 40lbs and the heaviest in at around 70lbs. FREE!
2 40lb water jugs that I picked up for $2 each.
1 pair of Elite rings for $75
1 home door gym (chin bar &/or multi-purpose. $60
1 200lb tractor tire. FREE!
1 300lb tractor tire. FREE!
1 8lb sledge hammer ($28) and 1 10lb sledge hammer ($32).
2 tire sleds that I fill with old landscaping blocks with max weight of 300lbs. FREE!
6 wooden plyo boxes of various heights $60 (materials)
For the rest I head to the local school playground that's just around the corner and it has on impressive jungle gym and a brutal set of stairs.

I will try and add some kettle bells and a C2 by the end of the summer.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #30
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Eric, I made my squat rack from three treated 10 ft 4x4's from Home Depot.Choose straight ones with no large knots. They were about $9.00 each.
My "ceiling" is the exposed 2x12 floor joists from the floor above. The top of the joists is 10 ft. Take two of the posts and stand them on end about 36" from the wall. Clamp them to the joists temporarily while you get them plumb and drill them. The width is three joists wide. Facing the wall, the left post is clamped to the outside edge of the left joist. the middle joist is skipped and the right post is clamped to the outside edge of the right joist. I made lap joints at the top of my two posts before screwing them. That is , I made a long notch the thickness of the floor joist 1 3/4" in and 11 3/4 down from the top.This makes for a stronger attachment.
Now check each post for plumb, and predrill for four 4" lag screws. These are the ones that need a socket and rachet to drive. Run the screws through the joists into the posts, not the other way around.
Cut the remaining 4x4 in half (two 5 footers) These will create the actual rack. Stand one on end in front of each main post. Clamp them in place for drilling and bolting. The 4x4's laid together measure 7" thick. I used three 8" bolts and flat washers (Home Depot) per side to fasten them. Before you bolt them up, made a beveled cut in the top of each post to prevent the bar from rolling off the rack.
Now cut a piece of 2x4 to go flat on the floor between the posts and two more to go from the posts to the wall. Fasten these with L brackets. These will keep the bottoms of the posts from getting jostled around and going out of plumb.
I bored a 1 1/2 hole about 7 1/2 ft up in each post and ran a 4 ft pipe through for a chin up bar.Plenty strong for kipping. since the pipe is not fixed it's easy to slide it out, hold up a piece of oversized PVC and slide it back for a spinning "fat" bar.
Go over the whole thing lightly with palm sander to get rid of any splinters.
If I figure how to send pics, I will. It is simpler than I may have made it sound.

Dennis