CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
John Milgram

Profile:
James and Bill R - Add me to your Cleveland-area resource list, if you like.

James - I started with a Sears concrete-and-vinyl weight set. This was a few years back, although parts of it are still in service.

I have progressed from there, and some of the best stuff comes from this site. For instance, I used to like the Gravitron, but now I'm using rubber bands instead. And rings (or homemade variations thereon) are super-effective.

I have a bunch of other crazy things I use for home-based workouts, and I'd be glad to show them off.

I should have the time to use everything!

John

Old 02-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
Sam Cannons

Profile:
Started with a couple of kettlebells and a pull up bar, now i have added an o'set, 6 home made medicine balls,2 sets of homemade parallettes, rings, plyo box's, 4 sandbags, 2 heavy punch bags, a couple of dumbells and 2 kegs. I still ocasionally go to the gym for deadlift 1RM i dont have enough weight for that yet. I have a feeling weight plates are much more costly in Australia. I say go for it.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 AM   #13
Rene Renteria

Profile:
For assistance bands, you might try here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and search for "pallet banding". I have the 3/4" "heavy duty" bands. I'm not sure what size would be best for pullups, but maybe someone else can comment on that. (Tony Young has commented that CrossFit Ohio has used them successfully and for a long time.) I use them for shoulder "prehab" type moves--traction, face pulls, pull-aparts behind the neck--and for side-steps for glute activation/mobility type moves ("X-band walks" etc.).

Re: home gear--Craig's List! $150 got me cheapo (but adequate) squat stands, a (bent, turns out--DOH!) Oly bar, Oly tricep bar I use for suitcase DL and carries, DB handles, 300# wgts, wgt tree, 2x10, 25, and 30 lb Hex DBs, 2 prs. collars. I also got a crappy (but adequate for now) flat bench for free. $30 for a pair of 4'x6' 1.5" tumbling mats (just missed a pair of 2" 5x10 gymnastics mats for 50 bucks--that would have been a great score...).

Best,
Rene'
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
James Besenyei

Profile:
Rene, thanks for the mcmaster link, sounds promising.

Anyone use the mcmaster bands (or other bands for the purposes of this question) for pullup assistance?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
Chris Burns

Profile:
I've used the mcmaster bands, large & small, for reg pullups in the past. Now I'm using them for L-sit pullups, rings dips, and Muscle-ups. No problems with them so far and the price is right.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Peter Howarth

Profile:
I use iron woody bands for clients.I have 2 at the moment,1 thick 1 thin,combine the two and drop one as they get stronger until they don't need them.Found better progression on those than jumping.
As for gear started with a pullup bar,olympic bar and weights,med ball,jump rope,modified bench.
Now have a homemade squat rack,another pullup bar,climbing wall,a few more bits and pieces but not a lot and its great.I enjoy my workouts and personal training way more now,than at any gym full of equipment.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
James Besenyei

Profile:
So is it safe to assume, on my part, that most everyone either ran, jumped rope, or did SDHP's to simulate rowing if they did not have a C2? If that's the case then I'm gonna bite the bullet and just train in the garage...save for the 2 or 3 days per week that my schedule and my wife's align to allow us to go to the gym together...if only I could convince her to train in the garage!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
Ron Fielder

Profile:
So far I have the following but continue to expand every chance I get.
20' rope
rings I made from plastic playground rings and moving straps (hope to get some higher quality)
paralettes
6 homemade med balls the heaviest being 19lbs
I use my Bo Staff to do my OHS.
I just got the dipping belt off of Ironmind.com.
I have a flak jacket and some sea bags that i am wanting to use but I still struggle with my bodyweight on my run times.
I have a PU bar
I just ordered a 35lb & 55lb KB.
I am just tired of the gyms that I go to. I am really enjoying this process.
Not to mention I am putting together quite a library.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #19
Chris Barclay

Profile:
James,
I gave up the gym over a year ago and have been making do with the road/park, a pull-up station (was using a towel slung over the ladder to my loft for a few months) a jump rope and a set of cheapo adjustable Golds dumbells. I have recently (3 weeks)added Elite Rings (brilliant) and am currently expecting my O lifting set to arrive. Before my new kit arrives I'm already in the best shape of my life!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
Bill Russell

Profile:
John M. - It's good to have another Clevelander here. Watch out for Darrell White/bingo, he's local too.

We should get into a rotation working out in our garage gyms a couple times a month, once the weather breaks of course.

I have DBs, bumpers, parallettes, two sets of rings, kick bags, PU bars, plyo boxes, 800M street track in our subdivision, and a soon-to-be mini parkour course in my backyard along with a great climbing tree complete with ropes. I'm hoping to buy a C2 rower after I finish paying for the CF cert. in April.