CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
James Besenyei

Profile:
I've been entertaining the idea of only working out at home despite my relative lack of equipment. What I do know is that in my garage I can turn up my own music as loud as I want, I can sweat, grunt, and swear at will, and I don't have to worry about my circuit being interrupted by other people. So, I am curious how any of you out there with your own garage/basement gym started out, and how much/little equipment you had to begin with? I already know that it doesn't take much if you're dedicated, so my question is posed more out of curiosity as to how creative everyone out there in Crossfit nation has been regarding equipment, or lack thereof...and how the experience has shaped your exercise life? Look forward to all the replies.

--Jim.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
We started out with a $129 300 pound olympic weight set and a set of rings. That actually served us pretty well for a while, but it has definitely gotten easier now that we have everything that we could need to do a workout of the day.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Michael Tong

Profile:
Pre-CrossFit
- PowerRack with PU bar and dip station
- adjustable bench (for incline and decline)
- 1 set of Olympic weights, 300#
- heavy bag
- headache/target bag
- 25# - 55# hex dumbbells
- jump rope
- running shoes

Pretty bare-bones. Take out the bags, and replace the hex dumbbells with some adjustable ones, and you still have enough to get a good work-out.

Since CrossFit
- home-made med ball - 22#
- 400# more of olympic weights (for 3 bars of death)
- 2 more olympic bars (for 3 bars of death)
- C2 rower, Model B
- PVC paralettes
- PVC rings
- cheap grips
- wrist roller
- 16' climbing rope (very recent addition)
- Apollon's Axle (very recent addition)
- misc. standard weight and adjustable dumbbell handles

To be added soon when I move my gym to the garage
- sandbag (home-made)
- farmer's walk implements (home-made)
- tire sled (home-made)
- thick PU bar (home-made)
- plyo box (home-made)
- barbell holder (home-made)
- GHD (home-made)
- at least 1 pair of 45# bumper plates
- weighted vest
- more rubber mats
- heavier hex dumbbells
- a bunch of standard plates (farmer's walk)

I buy a lot of stuff off of Craigslist. It is great getting things dirt cheap. I think you can get away with very little equipment, and add as slowly or quickly as required.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:
James,

When I started CF last April, all I had at home was a pullup bar, jump rope, 10 lb bar, 8 lb med ball and a bunch of light DBs. I did a lot of BW stuff as I slowly accumulated more equip.

If I was forced to pick only a few items that I now have to keep, they would be the p/u bar, rings, 25lb DBs, 45 lb bar, and my home made plyo boxes.

All of the above can be had for less than $100 if you are creative.

If I could only keep one item, no contest, rings!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Jason Steele

Profile:
Started out initially with just a weighted vest, then added sandbags of multiple sizes and weights, homemade medicine ball, jump rope. Used the bars at the park next door for pullups.

Moved into a house with a basement, added a 300# Olympic weight set, squat rack (box store variety), rings, couple of sets of dumbbells, kettlebells for both my wife and I (boy did the UPS guy really hate me that day).

Recently added a few purple jumpstretch bands, deer pulling harness, homemade plyobox (24#).

I was really happy with just sandbags at first they're cheap to make and very versatile. Definitely love the kettlebells and rings now. Will be adding a C2 eventually (currently simulating with sdhp) and some metolius rock rings (?) once I get my pullup numbers up.

I agree with Michael, you can start out cheap (sandbags, saw horses for squat racks, etc) and work your way up. Rings are by far the most versatile thing for the gym (IMHO), I can personally do without the bumpers until a later date.

Hope that helps!

Ross Enamait has a lot of awesome stuff on cheap equipment that can do a lot of versatile conditioning exercises.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
James Besenyei

Profile:
So far it seems like I might be equipped enough to lift only in the garage...I have 2 15 lbs. bumper plates, 320 lbs. of cheap iron weights, 1 cheap olympic bar, a high PU bar, a homemade squat rack (built with 6x6's & plywood), and a jump rope...my only problem would be replicating the Gravitron machine I've been using at the Y...on an earlier thread several people told me to use negatives and jumping PU's but I love the efficiency of the Gravitron, particularly because I've made good progress with PU's using the Gravitron (progress comes slowly at 320 lbs.!),so I would have to find a way to use resistance bands or some other system...rings seem to be a simple thing to implement as well.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Michael Tong

Profile:
Forgot to include: I made a set of thick dumbbell handles out of 2" aluminum tubing cut from an old metal futon frame. Used some foam pipe insulation to fill the void. Still have enough tubing to make 2 more sets.

I really enjoy thinking of new things to make, especially when the raw materials are cheap/free. I like the simplistic, utilitarian qualities of it :-).

Agree with Jason... Ross Enamait has some good ideas, and I think his approach is very CrossFit-esque. I just bought Infinite Intensity and will be trying out the 50-day program in place of the WOD and my 5x5s in the near future.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Dan Ensing

Profile:
James,

After my son was born it was tough to get into the gym. First I bought an eliptical (I know, I know...). Then I bought a squat cage, a 300# weight set, adjustable bench w/ sit up attachement, and adjustable dumbbells. Later I added a power tower, heavy bag, and another (free, thanks to my bro-in-law) 300# weight set. I made one bar into a thick bar and bought two 45# bumpers. After CrossFit found me I bought rings, a C2 rower, and a bumper set from Pendlay. The last thing I bought was a hex deadlift bar and I plan on fabbing up a glute/ham bench. This has all occured since 2000. Also mixed in are a 20# weight vest and a few jump ropes.

Dan
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
Bill Russell

Profile:
James,

If you, Darrell and I ever get together for a WOD, I'll show you what I do with my rings. When you see how easy it is to vary your self-assistance doing pullups, I think you'll ditch the gravitron.

BR
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
I had a dusty set of hex dumbbells 20# - 35#, and a flat bench. Then I found CrossFit...

Added (over time)in my garage:
medicine balls
more dumbbells
full bench with oly bar and 300#'s
mounted a pull up bar x2
wood dowels for oly lift practice
homemade parallettes
rubber matting in the garage
bands
swiss ball
ELITE RINGS! (best purchase so far)
C2 (second best)
and just today, 10# and 25# Bumpers (Thanks CrossFit San Diego!)

More to follow as time and money allow, Ply box's next on my list. This is fun!

Love me some Crossfit...