CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #21
Patrick Datoc

Profile:
Pierre-
Do you have any experience with old leather basketballs intead of rubber ones?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #22
Tim Runnette

Profile:
How big can you go with the hole for the funnel. Just bigger thann the auger in the repair kit looks unmanageable.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #23
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Trying to answer all of the above, if I miss anything I'll try to pick it up later.

Leather or stiched balls - the stitching almost always falls apart as they are designed to hold air not sand.

Lighter weight - I put as much sand in the ball as needed, then I seal it and pump it up with air. This makes for an unbalanced ball which makes for a very effective training implement. If you want it balanced you can fill it with grain, or flour. Ground oats or something. Its cheap and about the most useful thing you can do with the stuff.

Heavier ball - you can use led shot, ground metal fillings, and even fill it with concrete to make a lifting stone.

I ream a hole slightly bigger with the auger as normal with a tire. And then I use a very small funnel. And silica sand works best for pass through. Its takes time to do it right thats all I have to say about that.

Take care have fun, and keep safe, I'm currently on the road travelling around Western Canada and the U.S. I'm in missoula montana right now at starbucks and I will be in Mt. Vernon area tomorrow. Check ya later.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #24
Tim Runnette

Profile:
All right, 24 hours after starting, I am complete. Everything Pierre said is true. Left the hole just about the size of the auger. Used a cake decorating tip on the end of a funnel from my homebrew supplies to move the sand. Put the ball in a big bucket and taped the funnel from about 4 sides to secure it and then be able to fill with sand and leave for a bit. Thanks to my wife for the cake decorating tip idea and for babysitting the ball during the day as it filled. Used playground sand and my 28.5"(I think - std women's size)basketball now weighs about 20 lbs. The end goes really slow....Shoe Goo setting now.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #25
Tim Runnette

Profile:
Ops check good it holds air.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/29137.gif http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/29138.gif
Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #26
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Tim,
very nice rig!!! Actually may I ask for permission to add those pics to the med-ball manual? I'm sorta in Seattle right now and home is on the otherside of the continent. So convienience being what it is thats great and would be helpful! Oh and where are you from?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 AM   #27
Tim Runnette

Profile:
Thanks Pierre. I live in Waldorf, Maryland at the moment (in the AF.) The key to starting out is to brace the basketball on one side (or even roll up a towel and create a base around its bottom.) It will roll around a bit until it starts to get heavy. If you want bigger pix or better res let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:01 AM   #28
Travis Loest

Profile:
Tim,
Just wanted to say hello to someone from Waldorf. I use to live out there with my Grandfather. He lived in Baden, and my brother and I were born at Andrews AFB. What a blast from the past, I haven't been there since my grandfathers funeral in '93. I miss the old farm.
Travis
Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #29
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I am getting ready to post some pics of my set up as well. I have it set up so that I can fill all 20lbs into the funnel at once, then walk away. If everything goes right the entire filling happens without any issues.

Pierre (and all other slam ball makers),

What do you think is better for the strength of the balls; more or less air?

I used to have my balls somewhat full of air (they stayed round but could easily be deformed, and they had little bounce). I had a couple of my cheap "Target" balls rip, I am running with little or no air now, but I don't know which is better.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #30
Tim Runnette

Profile:
Just discovered my ball has a slight air leak. Just Shoe Goo'd around the valve (leak NOT at repaired sand hole.)

We'll see if it works. I seem to like it with enough air to make it firm but minimal bounce. Of course I am primarily using for wallball.