CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #41
Jason Roth

Profile:
Jeff,
How do you play castle siege with slamballs?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #42
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Someone had a suggestion earlier in this thread I think that you should do Slam Balls by imagining you are the top of a castle wall and invaders are climbing a ladder directly beneath you. Your only weapon are a bunch of slamballs at your feet (or in this case, one magic slam ball that reappears every time you throw it). Pick up, throw, repeat. I just named it Castle Siege without really thinking about it.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #43
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
My son was a little tired from football practice, so we just borrowed a rep scheme from (insert your favorite WOD with 21-15-9 rep scheme here). I'm not sure, does anyone have any slamball workouts made up? I know they get used some in the WODs for wall ball, etc. but not sure if any specific ones exist.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:55 AM   #44
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Jeff, try
100 slams for time, or
Slam Ball then by Wall Ball 50-40-30-20-10 reps for time.

Brent,
I would imagine you put way too much air in the ball. You don't need much! Though I've had mine pumped up pretty tight without fail so maybe you just got a dud ball which would just suck.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #45
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Let's keep the discussion here to the equipment, and take the workout requests to the Workout section.
thanks,
Old 09-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #46
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Brent, I just patched up the torn area on the ripped ball. I have had 3 cheap balls rip in the same way you describe. I wrote 'no slam' on them so people would stop using them to slam. The cheap ones I have just can't take it.

Just so everyone knows, Sharpie makes a silver metallic paint pen that seems to work great on the rubber basket balls (use that for the 'pimp my slam ball' contest).

Pictures. . . (I am not well versed in the ways of image posting but I will try).

EDIT: nevermind, I couldn't get it to work. You all will have to wait unitl I do my mini article for my website so I can link to it.

(Message edited by jjones on September 01, 2006)
Old 09-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #47
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Something I've just tried, which seems to be working well, is to spray the balls with rubber truck bed coating.

You can't spray paint rubber it just doesn't work. But Duplicolor makes a polymer spray which is designed as a spray on truck bed coating. It works great on trucks and works just as well on basketballs from the looks of it. Its only been a couple of days but it also seems to have slowed the slow air leaks in the balls.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

try it, the other advantage is that the ball no longer looks like a cheap basketball. it looks like a cheap flat black medicine ball.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #48
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Update - The polymer coating thing doesn't work that great. It holds for a few days then lets go. Thought I should share before anyone else tries it.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #49
Brent Rizzuto

Profile:
I think my slamball broke due to too much air. I've made two others and have had no problems with them.

FYI, I made a heavy ball for myself (25 lbs using playground sand) and a lighter one for my wife (~13.5 lbs using sugar). Both balls were the 29.5" Pro Shot 1000. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested in a lighter slamball.