CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Adam Grant

Profile:
I've never done a bicep curl. It was a lift that seemed, to me, to be more useful in the realm of bodybuilding than functional athletic strength.

But now that I think about it, the 'lock' is more or less mimicking the motion of a curl, isn't it? By 'lock' I mean a head lock, head and arm lock, underhook body lock- not to mention a myriad of other amateur wrestling moves. And I'm no jj guy but scooping the arm under the chin in a rear naked choke seems to me to be reminescient of the same arm motion.

Am I crazy? Or should I get out my muscle shirt and start doing some preacher curls?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
want to practice your lock....hang from a bar with a bent arm and weights attached.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
I do 'em to keep away elbow tendinitis.

Two sets of curls three days a week isn't going to suck all the athletic prowess out of your body. Give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
The rear naked choke is 90% chest expansion shoulders and back. Also some wrist rotation to turn the fist like a cam to force the guys head forward. Arm lock is "thrown" ideally when you have the opponents wrist against your chest already so you are just straightening out your body thus using your core against opponents arms.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
I can think of a lot of practical uses for the stregth and motion of a bicep curl. I know people on here love to knock them because it's a traditional isolation exercise that is coveted by so many naive lifters... but honestly I curl things all day long when I'm holding things, moving something to a shelf, spotting kids on bars, taking stuff out of my pocket =)...

As much as people hate it, I lift things from my waist up to my chest far more often than I deadlift, clean, or hang from a bar.

Even so, I can't stand an exercise that involves one little part of my body. I just never believe the concept that is has no use. Rock on if it helps you.. curls mean bigger biceps, delts and forearms... heck yeah it's going to be a little easier to choke somebody when you flex.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Biceps curls are probably better than nothing, but I still think your rear naked would be better served by chin ups or pull ups. Jui Jitsu is technique over strength so even better than curls or chin ups would be practicing proper technique because chocking with your arms vs chocking with your whole body are different worlds. That is how a guy like Royce was able to choke out a Dan Severn technique. In allot of ways using strength early on to compensate for technique will hurt you later on when you are up againt a stronger opponent and really need that technique.

my 2 pennies
Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Standing curls are pretty functional, but you can get the same benefits (and more) from other exercises like chinups, rowing, deadlifts, etc.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Mark Dowst

Profile:
I can see curls helping you with armbar defense, but I know shoulder flexibilty helps. I use strength all the time in grappling to stall, a few seconds during important transistions really helps you learn faster.

Personally I do bicep curls and calf raises for aestetic reasons, it feels nice to think of them as functional also.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
A few sets of Curls a week aren't going to ruin your athletic ability, but you have to ask yourself. . .

Can I spend my training time doing something more effective/beneficial? If you have loads of time, or feel like this is a major weakness for you then by all means do them.

And if you do them, I would think the best ones to do would be standing, dumbell/kettlebell curls. I wouldn't touch the machines, the kinky bar, or the 'pulpit'.

Edit: Come to think of it, doing a strict curl with a strict press overhead would be a nice complex to incorporate into training.

(Message edited by jjones on October 12, 2006)
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
"Loads" of time for bicep curls? We're talking thirty, forty seconds of actual work. Three, four minutes if you toss in some rest periods.

Just grab some DBs, bang out some hammer curls and be done with it. What are you out? They seem to keep the cracks and creaks out of my bows and the effort invested is negligable.