CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I'm moving to Baltimore in a few weeks for work, and was wondering if there was any experience with any CF friendly gyms in the area.

I will be working at Johns Hopkins, so anything in that area would be great. Not sure where my apt will be yet, but any gym info would be appreciated.

Andy Shirley
Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
Alex McClung

Profile:
Hi Andy, welcome aboard !

I live in Baltimore and have spent a great deal of time on and around the Hopkins campus. They have a pretty good campus gym there. My recommendation is to get hooked up with anyone on the lacrosse team/staff. The lacrosse strength and conditioning coach, Jay (can't remember his last name) is pretty crossfit friendly. He also does some private training out of the Merritt club on Cranbrook Drive in Cockeysville. He trains a couple of the guys on the Bayhawks team too. I see his guys doing a lot of 1-arm snatch/sprint couplets. Tom Brose also has a group in DC that meets to crossfit. Drop me an email if you'd like to chat some more.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Alex, I sent you an email. I'm waiting to hear back form some of the rugby guys there for their thoughts on a gym.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Tom Brose

Profile:
Andy, we will be getting soome workouts together down in DC in a few weeks if you can join us. I dont know the B' more gyms as well as Alex, so i would take his advise.

I'm not sure the Hopins rugby team is that serious in thier strength training, but I dont know.

Hope you can come down to DC
Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Note: not the Hopkins rugby team, the Baltimore-Chesapeake Brumbies, the D1 club in town, I plan on training with them when i can, to keep my fitness up while away from my club.

I saw the DC thread, and am interested in coming down, as I have a good buddy in DC that I will try to bring along, if only so he can laugh at me. I have already stopped attempting to get him converted.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #6
Tom Brose

Profile:
I think that club might have an Argentine named Gonzo coaching, he is a gym guy. (although after he retired from fly half, he got into bodybuilding and bulked way up) He might help, if he is still around there. i coaching a d2 college team in DC. Hope to see you soon.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I am somewhat settled up here in Baltimore now. There is a Merritt club just down the street(Boston St), but I joined the gym in my apartment building. Canton Club Health and Fitness. Its open 24hrs, so if there are any workouts that might be iffy to perform with people around, I can go at 2am. I work nights, so on my off nights I am usually up anyway. The gym has one power rack, and just enough space in front of it to use for the oly lifts. Also has a 10 and 15 lb med ball, so I might put off making my own wall ball and use a 15 lb med ball. My building also has an open courtyard in the middle, with I beams and girders to mount my rings when they arrive(shortly).
Andy
Old 09-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
This is in addition to the crappy little gym that is for residents of my building. 5-6 machines. No dip/pull-up station. 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, 2 other wierd cardio machine. I've doen the eliptical thing before, this was different, more like walking against resisitance. I tried it out for fun. According to it I was burning 1500 calories an hour walking. My heart rate came down to about 115, this was after an hour on the bike with a HR around 160(the bike told me I was burning 700 cal/hr). The math on that walker(Fit-Strider?) is seriously off.

On a good note the apt gym does have DBs up to 50 lbs, for use snatching/swinging/taking outside. Although I realized tonight that they lock it up overnight, and my little electronic key doesn't work.

I just did Elizabeth in the Canton Club. I was alone except for one other guy. It was nice.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
dan santini

Profile:  
oh boy, hodgen and loaf are gone! i may have to start kitting up again. by the way, i still have those rugby league shorts. how long in baltimore?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Dan,
I'm doing a 3 month contract up here. I might extend it to maybe five months, tops. I plan on being back for the Spring season. And I'm flying down for the two Fall matrix matches(Oct 8th in ATL and Oct 29th at home). Southwest makes it cheap to get between the two cities.