CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Celio Silva

Profile:
After a week on the phone and on the road searching for a big tire I finally scored!:yahoo: I don't know how much it weights... I am estimating it between 500-700lb.
Besides flippling it, I though of jumping in&out of it, and standing it vertically against the wall to hit it w/ the sledge hammer in a lateral motion.

I also have a smaller one that I had gotten on my second day into my quest that I am planning on using for sledge hammering and dragging.

I'll be getting my hammer within the next days. Is it a 16lb the way to go? What is your tire workout like?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
We just scored a nice tire yesterday and will be picking up a monster one today. I was messing around with it a bit. They are great for box jumps with multiple people. I was also doing some burpee combos while jumping in and out. The ideas are endless. I think it's time to do some video on this. I put a picture of the tire on my site. Look for some video next week.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I scored 3 big tractor tires last week.
My friend did 1 minute of max flips after he did a KB workout. He got 10 in 1 min.
It was a rest day for me, but Mon. we will get together again and that is when I plan to try it out. I will let you know.
I was thinking of a flip, then a jump in & out, flip...maybe with some hill sprints and KB work.
I know I will be able to inflict plenty of punishment with the tires, and I can't wait to play with them.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
What are the sizes and weights of these tires you guys are getting? I was hoping to find one that weighed about 400lbs and was 20-24" tall, laying down. Are yours different sizes and weights, if so, what's good are bad about them. Thanks, David.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Man, I wish I had room to store a tire! Sounds like a hoot!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Celio Silva

Profile:
Right on guys, have fun!

I haven't put a serious workout on it yet, but just by flipping it a couple times I can tell this will be no joke and a GREAT workout!

The thing is massive, standing 5ft tall and 2 1/2ft laying down. The ridge lines are VERY pronounced, making it hard to get close to the tire, putting a grip on it and flipping it. I watched a dozen youtube videos on tire flipping and did not see a single one like mine, so I at this point I am inclined to suggest you pick a smoother tire if you have a choice.

I am getting my sledge hammer today and putting on my first workout tomorrow!:banana:
Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Ron Fielder

Profile:
Celio's tire sounds about like mine.
They are big tractor tires, not sure of the specs but I will check next time I use them. I just went to a tire store and asked them if they had any old tires that they wanted to get rid of.
They gave me three, 2 are the same size, the third is even bigger and heavier, probably going to use it for team work.
But just fliping one involves a lift, clean and press. Amazing!
I want to find some shorter, denser tires that are heavy...just have to go on the hunt.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Thomas Covington

Profile:
There is a junkyard about 2 miles from my house with a whole stack of tractor tires in the front calling my name. I just have no way of brining one home currently.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Celio Silva

Profile:
ok, I couldn't resist. After I went and got a 16lb hammer & a 15ft chain I cameback home and got to work.

I had never worked out w/ a tire before so I created the following set for my first try:

Flipping it for 1 min
Hammering it for 1 min (30 sec each side)
Jumping in&out of it for 30 sec (forward through & backward through)

I rested for 2 min and repeated 3 times.

Immediately after my last set I drove to the park 3 blocks from my house and began dragging the smaller tire through a soccer field. I crossed the field twice as fast as I could resting for 2 min in between.

The result?

:puke0000:

Nah, I am kidding:lol:, but it really worked me! It's as great and fun of a workout as it looks and I highly recommend it for all gladiators out there!:whip0000:

Now, I need to improve my system for dragging the smaller tire. I used a belt that I've been using in my garage for training takedowns and sprawling w/ a resistance band attached to the wall, but it did not work for dragging the tire. It restricted and hurt my body so I ended up grabbing the chain w/ my hands and dragging it as I ran. That proved to be a good workout going backwards, but I need something to attach the chain to my back so I can run w/ it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Guys
I'm sending along a link, to a document that is work/family safe.
It lists various tire sizes and their respective weights. The weights given are when new, so do not include rubber worn off in usage.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...ire_weight.pdf

On the resources page you may also find other info that may be of some use to you in terms of strongman training.
One thing you may want to consider with tire flipping, is approaching it in a manner similar to a weight workout.
7 sets of 5 flips
6 sets of 3 flips
or something along those lines.

Good luck