CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Brian Oravetz

Profile:  
I am new to the Crossfit community, obviously! And thus far, I have really enjoyed the way things are done, and the results that I have seen based on my own experiments.

A little about me. I'm a BJJ guy, and one who's ever only had one coach. Master Ricardo Murgel (7th Deg BB CBJJ). We are in the process of growing our team here in the states to match the size that we've grown it internationally.

Professor Murgel is also my business partner, and that is what brought me to the Crossfit world. It is my responsibility to find a conditioning system that can be replicated and used across our entire team.

So it is my goal to come here, read, read, read and read some more! Did I mention read? :D

I am also interested in Affiliation and Certification if the results I've seen thus far are any indication.

We are also an MMA team with a few serious contendors here and abroad. But we do not have a specialized striking program. I'd also be interested in more info, and learning about the CrossPit program as well.

I'll look forward to seeing you all around!
Regards,
Old 04-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Sounds like you are at the right place. I recommend you check out crossfitlive.com and the FAQ posted by Lynne Pitts that includes several documents by Eugene Allen that must be read. Also "What is Fitness" is a must read.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
John Messano

Profile:
Hi Brian,

The best and quickest way to learn is to DO. Consider doing the CF warm-up and the CF WOD, scaled to your ability, if necessary. You'll quickly discover the gaps in your training and knowledge just by doing the WOD.

Along with Nick's recommendations, I suggest reading, "What is Fitness?", CF Foundations and selected back issues of the CF Journal.

I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Brian Oravetz

Profile:  
Thanks guys! Excellent guidance. and as it happens, the guy that told me about this board also said to look up Lynne's stuff. But I could not recall the name.

I will certainly look forward to contributing once I get a good feel for these methodologies. It will certainly be nice to be a part of such a peer group.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Brian,
We at Brand X just started having CrossPit classes, and they are tough. We post it on our forum at Brandxmartialarts.com then go to the forum. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Brian, yeah, you will definitely want to check into CrossPit certification.

Tough. Really tough. Great fight training.

Welcome!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
A big CrossFit welcome to the new folks on board!
For the martial artists in the crowd, make sure you check out the "CrossPit" page on the message board.